Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 10/22 apart to clean it. An adventure for sure. But I was never able to get the barrel off to run a rod through it. And my bore snake would not fall all the way through. Any thoughts on getting the barrel off? Guess I am afraid of whacking it and doing some damage.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Bore snake can be really tight for 22lr - reviews of the viper model are especially critical. If you're trying to avoid cleaning from the muzzle then YouTube some videos on removing the bolt carrier and trigger group. Some people even drill a hole in the receiver so a rod can be ran through the receiver and into the barrel. An alternative to bore snakes and gun rods is the Otis system. Its plastic coated, flexible steel cable that allows you to attach jags and brushes to the end so you can pull them through from breech to muzzle. I've always ran a rod down the muzzle until I picked up the Otis system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet!
Went to the Otis site, and linked to a video demonstration on youtube. Looks like the perfect solution for me. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Sweet!
Went to the Otis site, and linked to a video demonstration on youtube. Looks like the perfect solution for me. Thanks for the tip.
+1 on the Otis system. I use it all of the time.

I can usually get my Boresnake to drop through the barrel. I just leave plenty of slack on the feed end and with the muzzle pointed down, quickly shack the rifle up and down - sort of vibrate it. It will slowly work it's way through. My 28 1/2" barrel CZ 452 was the worst, but it finally appeared at the muzzle.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
This is probably one of those beyond obvious statements, but make sure you don't have one of those shorter pistol bore snakes....

Also, if it won't drop through, check for a blockage in the barrel!

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I just use a basic, aluminum, Hoppe's rod to clean mine. If you leave out the center section of the three part rod, it fits perfect. No problem, no harm. Just keep the rod wiped clean of any grit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts