Ruger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am a Mini 14 newbie and I have an idiot-level question. I apologize in advance.

I removed the wood stock from a 1993 Ranch rifle and replaced it with an ATI Strikeforce stock. I had to fiddle with the gas block to get it to fit right. On my wooden stock, the upper and lower halves of the (factory) gas block were very tight. After installing the new stock, I tightened the screws and found it was so tight that I could not operate the bolt. I had to fiddle with them, to find the point where the screw was as tight as possible, without being so tight that it interfered with the operation of the bolt. Now there is a noticeable (1-2mm) gap between the upper and lower halves of the gas block.

So my questions are:

1) It is still okay to fire the weapon with looser gas block screws?

2) Is this just a matter of how the ATI stock fits? Or did I do something to screw up the gas block?

Thank you,

-Solo Sam

·
Banned
402 Posts
You should modify the stock-- Not the rifle to fit the stock
The gas block screws should have been staked on from the factory, a way of saying
( please don't mess with these screws. ) If I remember correctly ( someone chime in )
there is supposed to be a little space between the two pieces. The parts have to be assembled correctly and straight on the barrel, then tight is tight. You can't re-stake them,
maybe you can, I doubt it, So you should have used lock tight on the screws at the very least. If I new I had it right and was not going to mess with it anymore I would have used the red lock tight. Someone will probly tell you how to re-stake the screws, Use the lock tight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha!

After I read your post, I took a closer look at the gas block screws. I didn't even realize they were staked in. Oops.

Anyway, I had screwed them back in without understand their significance. This made them lopsided. I took my time and carefully screwed them in evenly. This resulted in a much tigher fit and eliminated the bolt seizing problem.

Had I fired the gun as it was, it probably would have failed to cycle.

Thank you for your help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.