Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ironhat
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about doing some rehab this spring by going groundhog hunting. I used to be an avid whistle pig hunter but, some disabilities got in the way. My favorite varmint rig weighs in the neighborhood of ten pounds (Rem 700BDLV, .223. Think Sendero). There are two schools of thought going 'round in my head. The common ground is since I can't walk very far, requiring a light rifle and typical shots are 50-150 yds. I should a). take my
.22 WMR but it's a bull barrel - still about 1/2 the weight of the original .223. Or b). try to find a Ruger, "paddle model" .223 which probably would match the 22 mag in weight and still reach out for the 'long' shots around.
So, where would I find the weight of the 'paddle' model? And, secondly, how 'bout weighing in on this. That usually produces an angle or two which I haven't considered, in all my wisdom.:confused::eek::D

·
Banned
367 Posts
Well I though I had a standard synthetic Hawkeye stock laying around, but I guess not... The short action boat paddle I have weighs 2.2# by itself.
Personally, shooting rock chicks here in the basin, I've never had luck with any of the rimfires solidly anchoring things with one shot. But I'm more of a "blow them up" guy.

Don't know what your particular ailment is, but recoil is so subjective that no one can really answer this but you. I've had back troubles for about a decade now, but never thought that my 308 had enough recoil to stop me from shooting, so; age quod agis

·
Ironhat
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Darkker, for responding. I'm not too recoil shy either. My whitetail rig is .25-06 which some guys use on chucks around here. Hmm, that's actually a consideration for me! I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know whether the .223 is long or short action - short is my guess. Thanks for the offer of your stock but then I'd have to find a gun and throw away the stock. Glad you stopped in. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.