Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reached 1250 rounds through my P365 and can pretty well say that I need to scoot my rear sight over to the right just a touch.

100 rounds of Inceptor 65gr +P frangible at 10 yards looked like this:
Sleeve Yellow Automotive tire Font Gas

There's a pretty solid line of demarcation showing the grouping.

Here's another group with 100 rounds of Scorpio 124gr FMJ:
Finger Automotive tire Sports gear Font Lifebuoy

You can see the line of demarcation again. This group is higher than the other, as was to have been expected. In both my P365 and P938, the 65gr rounds print lower than 115gr and heavier rounds.

The box in this picture shows the placement of my front sight on the target:
Automotive tire Automotive design Sleeve Finger Gadget

I put the dot of the front sight over the bullseye. With 115gr ammo, that sight placement would have resulted in the group being on the same horizontal level as the bullseye.

I readjusted the height for my group of 50 rounds of Scorpio at 20 yards, the farthest distance available at the indoor range I visited:

Dvd Data storage device Font CD Automotive tire

This is the front sight placement I used:

Font Dvd Material property Data storage device CD

Here, I put the tip of the front sight on the same horizontal level as the bullseye. You can see here that the bulk of the group was just to the left of the front sight. Because of some overlapping hits, it was difficult to get an exact count, but it appears that about 30-33 of the 50 rounds ended up in the 6" circle.

That seems to be enough information to justify nudging the rear sight to the right, just a smidgen.

I probably should have done this on paper earlier after my first trip out, but the steel kept calling my name.

Registered
I concur.... but, just a skosh! 馃檪 memtb

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might have scooched them a little sooner than 1250 rounds.
Unfortunately, I fired 650 rounds after my first 300 on steel, only, so I didn't have enough data from which to determine the adjustment to make. It wasn't until my last trip to an indoor range that I decided I knew enough. After that, I fired another 300 rounds at some steel and got better hit ratios on the 5"脳8" plate at 25 yards by holding just a touch right of center. I managed 4/5 hits in "rapid" fire on the plate with five rounds loaded in my mags. "Rapid" just means no more than a second in between shots. I wasn't getting half-second splits or anything.

Registered
Unfortunately, I fired 650 rounds after my first 300 on steel, only, so I didn't have enough data from which to determine the adjustment to make. It wasn't until my last trip to an indoor range that I decided I knew enough. After that, I fired another 300 rounds at some steel and got better hit ratios on the 5"脳8" plate at 25 yards by holding just a touch right of center. I managed 4/5 hits in "rapid" fire on the plate with five rounds loaded in my mags. "Rapid" just means no more than a second in between shots. I wasn't getting half-second splits or anything.
I've always rested a pistol right out of the box. Takes me out of the equation and tells me if I needto adjust the sights with minimum number of shots. At today's ammo prices,it gets expensive fast.

Registered
The expense of 1250 rounds would make a nice dent in the cost of a Ransom Rest.
As noted above, I also would like to remove "me" from the accuracy equation.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've always rested a pistol right out of the box. Takes me out of the equation and tells me if I needto adjust the sights with minimum number of shots. At today's ammo prices,it gets expensive fast.
Yeah, my first trip out with it, I anticipated the sights being pretty close to right on, so I didn't bring my pusher to the range. I did discover that it was hitting a little left of POA, though, but I wasn't sure if that was my fault because it was my first trip out with the gun.

It was close enough that I could shoot steel with it if I did a little Kentucky windage at longer distances. At seven and 10 yards, though, I just put the sight right on the plate. It wasn't until that last trip on paper that I finally felt it was necessary.

None of the rounds were wasted. The POI was close enough for effective steel work. I am just now at the point where it's time to bring a little more precision to the game.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The expense of 1250 rounds would make a nice dent in the cost of a Ransom Rest.
As noted above, I also would like to remove "me" from the accuracy equation.
Nah. Those 1250 rounds weren't all for determining POI. Don't forget that 650 of those rounds were on steel, where I was practicing controlled pairs and transitions, as well as shooting from the holster. The first 300 on paper were for a combination of break-in and building some muscle memory with the pistol.

I also practiced bringing the pistol up to do snap shots at seven yards during the same trip where I shot those groups. In reality, the groups I shot from which I determined that I needed to adjust the rear sight provided good practice with my fundamentals. Shooting groups for the sake of shooting groups is still time well spent, even if a misaligned rear sight makes those groups appear somewhere other than the middle of the target.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I made a mark on the sight and the slide so I could have an idea of how far I was shifting the rear sight, and I moved it just a touch. I don't think it needed to go over too far. I'm using the pistol in a tactical pistol class, tomorrow, so I'll see then how it works out.

Registered
Thanks for posting the information/targets. My new 365 is also off to the left. Usually this is due to me, but practice with other 365/small pistols have minimized this problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for posting the information/targets. My new 365 is also off to the left. Usually this is due to me, but practice with other 365/small pistols have minimized this problem.
I took a tactical pistol course today after having moved the rear sight just a touch to the right, and it actually made a world of difference. We started out shooting groups to see what our baselines were, and my group was perfectly centered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts