Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thermometer has crept above freezing so it's time to head out. I have new loads to test fire. I have a box of 9mm I just made using Berry's 124gr plated RN bullets and Blue Dot powder. I also have a new .308 Win load using 150gr Hornady SP IL bullets and H-335 powder. I also want to see how 150gr Norma factory ammo shoots in my rifle. My Remington 700 SPS Varmint .223 will be fired for the first time in its new Boyd's stock. Hopefully it will still shoot my 55gr Ballistic Tip loads as well as before.
Table Textile Interior design Shelving Wood

Office supplies Liquid Material property Calculator Office equipment

Air gun Wood Camera accessory Trigger Machine gun

·
Banned
139 Posts
I hope that you have a great time! Testing can be a lot of fun!

As I have little to no testing to do, as most testing was completed many years ago. In the majority of my long guns and a few handgun (for hunting), I work near or at maximum loads.....I only test when the mercury is at or above 90 F. I do not want temperature induced overpressure! memtb

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have “I think” that same rifle in a .22-250.
I bought back in ‘05 or so for a p-dog hunt that never happened.

Remington 700 .22-250 varmint in plastic furniture. Supposed to be an all S/S Model in black finish.

I want to learn how to reload for it so I can actually afford to shoot it. Then load it at .223 pressure to get the most out of my brass.

Ps. When time and money agree I would like to upgrade the furniture and modify/replace trigger.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
139 Posts

Remington 700 .22-250 varmint in plastic furniture. Supposed to be an all S/S Model in black finish.

I want to learn how to reload for it so I can actually afford to shoot it. Then load it at .223 pressure to get the most out of my brass.

Ps. When time and money agree I would like to upgrade the furniture and modify/replace trigger.

The 223 Rem pressures are very similar to that of the 22-250. To maximize brass life, you would reduce the chamber pressures.....bringing the velocities down to .223 velocities! Also doing minimal resizing will help extend brass/case life! Loading for a bolt gun you can minimize resizing (over working) the case.....difficult to do with a semi-auto, as the semi needs a case to fit the chamber fairly loosely to function reliably! memtb

Reactions: Peashooter67

·
Premium Member
15,392 Posts
I have just been informed by the high command my reloading stuff, powder, bullets etc. are being relocated to the lakehouse from the townhouse bedroom I took over 12 years ago. Going to build a small 'reloading room' with a wall A/C heater pump rig set up off the garage floor a few inches. The large safe will also be allowed in the 'new' walk in closet in the master bedroom. A man has to pick his battles and there is no winning this one............

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have just been informed by the high command my reloading stuff, powder, bullets etc. are being relocated to the lakehouse from the townhouse bedroom I took over 12 years ago. Going to build a small 'reloading room' with a wall A/C heater pump rig set up off the garage floor a few inches. The large safe will also be allowed in the 'new' walk in closet in the master bedroom. A man has to pick his battles and there is no winning this one............
mans gotta do what a man thinks best, sorry you couldn't second amend the higher power

Reactions: memtb

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I just upgraded the stock for the looks. The rifle has always been accurate. I reload with a collet die, neck sizing only. Ammo is custom fit to this chamber offering good accuracy and extended case life. I am getting 3300fps with 55gr bullets from the 26" barrel and cases last for many loadings.

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing like test time. Enjoy nga!
I shot for two hours. It was great. The warm sun made me ditch my jacket. My range finder was acting up and didn't want to give readings. Later it warmed up and I found that I was shooting rifles at 113yds. Close enough! I will post a range report when I can upload my camera.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts