Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets All,

As you might know, I'm always a day late and three paragraphs short!

I've read elsewhere there has been some reported issues with the 7 shot GP-100. In particular, timing with and without cylinder to bore alignment.

Is there any substance to that?

I'm planning my next purchase and the 1774 is really high on the list.

I'd go with the 1763 next.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,412 Posts
How do these things morph into something totally different? The issue with the 7-shot GP100 is …. there not quite enough space for the case rims when all 7 rounds are loaded. Some cartridge brands have case rims that are just a few thousandths under SAAMI specs and they will fit without binding while other brands get stuck or won't chamber the 7th round.

·
Registered
470 Posts
How do these things morph into something totally different? The issue with the 7-shot GP100 is …. there not quite enough space for the case rims when all 7 rounds are loaded. Some cartridge brands have case rims that are just a few thousandths under SAAMI specs and they will fit without binding while other brands get stuck or won't chamber the 7th round.
This is also how I understood it. Haven't heard anything about the timing being off on the GP 7 shooter.:)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gents! As mentioned, read elsewhere, on a forum that is strictly reloading.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Greets All,

I've read elsewhere there has been some reported issues with the 7 shot GP-100. In particular, timing with and without cylinder to bore alignment.

You may wish to check out a S&W 686, only costs a few bucks more than the Ruger.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, and has a 3" barrel. Is a S&W. Has a "no-back-bone" bent the knee, built in safety lock. Lastly, is not a Ruger. Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
126 Posts
From posts on this forum, Ruger could have done something different from one calendar year to the next. There were some posts that said the GP's made after Jan 1, 2019 somehow either resolved or reduced the issue. But, as always, Lowegan has the issue well stated.

If it were me, I'd stick to a 6 round GP100 or perhaps the 8 round Redhawk model 5051.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Greets All,

You may wish to check out a S&W 686, only costs a few bucks more than the Ruger.
Are you lost?

·
Registered
486 Posts
From posts on this forum, Ruger could have done something different from one calendar year to the next. There were some posts that said the GP's made after Jan 1, 2019 somehow either resolved or reduced the issue. But, as always, Lowegan has the issue well stated.

If it were me, I'd stick to a 6 round GP100 or perhaps the 8 round Redhawk model 5051.
Same here, 6 rounds only. More meat around each cylinder. Roger is a tank anyway.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What's your point Colt Carson? This may be a Ruger forum be we tend appreciate all good firearms. The 686+ is a valid option for anyone considering a 7 shot 357 revolver.

I highly advise against purchasing a new S&W anything. Quality has been so poor lately. Just look at what people are saying. I’ve had bad experiences myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
What's your point Colt Carson? This may be a Ruger forum be we tend appreciate all good firearms. The 686+ is a valid option for anyone considering a 7 shot 357 revolver.

I highly advise against purchasing a new S&W anything. Quality has been so poor lately. Just look at what people are saying. I’ve had bad experiences myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waning quality control or do we just hear more squeaky wheels with all the Internet forums, I’m not sure. This does bring to mind something my nephew experienced. A few years ago he purchased a brand new S&W .44 magnum revolver, and within a hundred rounds the barrel started unscrewing itself. Blew my mind.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Iowegan has explained the issue with the Ruger 7 shot GP100. I guess I am lucky because I like 6 shot revolvers and just haven't been smitten with the 7's, so for me it's not an issue.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts