Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just sitting here thinking-- I got guns, all sorts of guns, .45's, .38's, 9mm's and holsters, a closet full of them. working on the theory of if I ever need to defend myself it will probably be with the gun I carry the most, it's a .32acp.
I wonder if I'm not alone? how many people have all kinds of guns, but always have some kind of "mouse gun" on them 24/7? (this being the Ruger forum, I suspect almost everybody has an LCP). if you get dressed up to go out shopping, you put your 9mm carry gun in place and the .32/.380 goes in a pocket on the other side? if your going down to the garden for a few tomatoes, do you put on the carry gun or just rely on the little gun in your pocket?
(OT- Shot Show is next month, is this when Ruger introduces the LCPs Pro ?)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My "Mouse" gun...Baby Browning .25 auto. I do have an LCP...one of the recent $199.99 specials...the Browning was given to me by a relative and I was told it would fetch around $600 from the right buyer!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
MRP89 ... No LCP or similar here. I'm just one of those guys who has just never felt comfortable with a "mouse gun". The smallest gun I've ever carried (the past 11 years) is my CZ 2075 RAMI in 9mm, and it's not much smaller than my primary EDC which is my Springfield 1911 .45acp micro-compact.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
My NJ legal sidearm.

Reactions: Hokieman1987

·
Registered
71 Posts
I always carry my LCP. The others it's rare that I carry them and when I do it's in addition. Most of the guys I know that carry bigger pistols don't do it 24/7. When they feel the need.

I took a class from a well
Know instructor that was about the G19 or M&P compact.

At the end of the day he put his stuff away and put a a little colt 380 in his pocket LOL

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I struggled with pocket carry for several years. I tried all kinds of pocket guns. I finally settled on a P32. I worried my 32 wouldn't be enough to quickly stop a threat. I decided I needed something with more stopping power, but pocket carry wasn't going to work for me. I remembered I had a Kangaroo Carry that I bought, but the velcro closure was uncomfortable. I tried it around the house, and found I could easily carry a full size pistol. I took a black tube sock, cut out the toe, and slipped that over the velcro. Perfect. I carry my P345 all day, every day, and its very comfortable. I still have all my mouse guns, but they are on inactive duty now.

·
Registered
740 Posts
My main carry is my Sig P238 in .380 ACP. Unfortunately this year is so warm that I won't even get my usual 3 months (Dec to March) of cold weather to carry my Sig P239 in 9mm. My "real" pistols are too hard to conceal. I just don't want to chance loosing my CCW for brandishing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember a news story from out in rural Mo. Two, 60 something, sisters are minding their own business in their trailer when the 40 something, meth head neighbor busts in the front door and wants the money. they told him to go away, but he was serious and pushed the one sister down on the floor and advanced on the other sister. she pulls out her only weapon (NAA .22lr) and gives him one in the stomach. he continues coming toward her and she gives him number 2 in the chest. he goes down and the sisters call the cops.
got to love a trailer park story with a happy ending.
(I'd sure hate to have to rely on a .22lr micro gun and rimfire ammo to stop a threat. .32acp is a step up and .380acp is maybe another half step up? anything is better than nothing.) important thing, is yes, it was in the pocket, ready for action.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I do carry a small gun all day every day.
But I also carry a larger gun almost all day every day. As I type this I have the LCR 22 Mag in my front pocket and a Glock 19 inside my waste band. BTW my Glock is so old that it doesn't have a generation it's just a Glock.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I remember a news story from out in rural Mo. Two, 60 something, sisters are minding their own business in their trailer when the 40 something, meth head neighbor busts in the front door and wants the money. they told him to go away, but he was serious and pushed the one sister down on the floor and advanced on the other sister. she pulls out her only weapon (NAA .22lr) and gives him one in the stomach. he continues coming toward her and she gives him number 2 in the chest. he goes down and the sisters call the cops.
got to love a trailer park story with a happy ending.
(I'd sure hate to have to rely on a .22lr micro gun and rimfire ammo to stop a threat. .32acp is a step up and .380acp is maybe another half step up? anything is better than nothing.) important thing, is yes, it was in the pocket, ready for action.
Thats a nice story with a happy ending. How do you think story would have ended up if he had a 45, or a shotgun? A tiny gun is great when the aggressor is only armed with a bad attitude.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
For pocket carry I've got an old early 50s Colt Cobra 38spl that I carry. I like a wheel gun in the pocket.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My main carry is my Sig P238 in .380 ACP. Unfortunately this year is so warm that I won't even get my usual 3 months (Dec to March) of cold weather to carry my Sig P239 in 9mm. My "real" pistols are too hard to conceal. I just don't want to chance loosing my CCW for brandishing.
You can't loose your CCW in Florida for brandishing/printing. Gov. Rick Scott signed a bill into legislation 2 or 3 yrs. ago that saw to it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
BTW my Glock is so old that it doesn't have a generation it's just a Glock.
All Glock 19s have a generation. ;) If yours is a Gen1, it is actually a rare gun. They only imported a very small number before the Gen2 guns were released.

As to me and "tiny" guns? I'm up to two. I've owned a Kahr CW380 for a couple of years. I just grabbed an LCP a couple weeks ago. It is rare (so far) for me to carry them. My Smith 642 or my Glock 43 fill the need for a light weight, slim gun about 95% of the time. I do like having the option of the LCP. I have vetted it for FMJ carry but I need to another range trip for HPs.

The LCP may get more carry time next summer. I marvel at the engineering required to get 7 rounds of decently powered ammo in such a light, slim package. It makes my Airweight J-frame feel big and heavy by comparison.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The smallest handguns I own are a Walther .380 PPK/S and a Ruger SP101 w/2.25" barrel, neither of which qualify as a mouse gun. I have been considering a Beretta Tomcat .32 or Beretta Bobcat .25. Anyone out there have any experience or opinions on either of these?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've carried several 32's and a couple of 25's over the years, even a Beretta 22 short==just quick grabs for convenience as I was going out the door. Primary was either a 38 J-frame or a Colt Commander. Recently went to a Glock 27. Wife started with a Walther PP in 32. went to a Bersa 380, then to a Glock 26. Wanted something with a smaller grip, so she went to a Glock 43. She seems happy with that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The smallest handguns I own are a Walther .380 PPK/S and a Ruger SP101 w/2.25" barrel, neither of which qualify as a mouse gun. I have been considering a Beretta Tomcat .32 or Beretta Bobcat .25. Anyone out there have any experience or opinions on either of these?
I've owned a Tomcat since they first came out; couple years ago it was sent back to the factory for a new trigger spring the local gunsmith couldn't get figured out. Otherwise it's been a dependable little gun..though it's wide and a bit heavy compared to the more modern .32 & .380 & even 9mm offerings. Do like the tip up barrel and never having to rack the slide but it generally is regulated for those "very hot" summer day pocket carry duty. Otherwise the S&W 60 or Beretta 92 is the carry gun of choice..:cool:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts