Ruger Forum banner

81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Muzzle brakes have a place, I used on for awhile but got tired of the dirt flying when shooting prone I took it off and used the end cap. Muzzle brakes can be annoying. At our local matches everybody shoots a brake or a suppressor. Getting stuck prone between two breaks can be nerve racking during a match. I was tempted to put mine back on just to join the fun and do a little pay back! My Browning X bolt can be a real dirt slinger when you get the angle just right with the ground!! I personally don't care for brakes, especially since I started running suppressed but I'm fine if somebody wants to use them. I double up with muffs and plugs when I am around them. People just need to show some courtesy like move down a bench or two if the space is available when you run a brake. If you are a range master for a match, if possible, make sure the relays are set up so the muzzle brake guys are in the same relay so they can annoy each other.

One last thought if can afford it and can have one legally, get a suppressor, it will reduce recoil and blast. Your long range scores will go up and the guys next to you won't hate you! I have had mine about two months and I like it, I should have got one along time ago.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Lots of Pro's for muzzle brake. Double up on hearing protection regardless!!!! The fella I have always used provides excellent brakes.

3 or 4 of my rifles have them, one is a Browning Boss system (used with or without brake) - boss 'optimization' system is okay as long as rifle barrel generally likes your load already. But BRAKES work great yet wont brake most of my rifles, so far, unless really need to try something different on case by case basis.

HANDGUN ports: ....for now, am okay with some of mine having ports or compensators for using up to 'lets say' around low-end 44mag recoil with 200g bullets otherwise I want some muzzle flip using heavier loads from handguns that are under about 4.5 lbs, with an ideal grip style for my ergonomics.

Beyond a 55 ounce gun with long barrel, I am looking at sprained wrist or elbow with heavy a muzzle flip when shooting hot loads over 350 grains, this has been for me though.

Have never tried a full brake on a handgun, this could be alot of FUN on a really long and heavy handgun?

81 - 82 of 82 Posts