Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I disagree with your removal of the minefield, I think I understand why you folks decided to do it. I would like to say a couple of things in defense of the minefield though.

1. It keeps controversial posts from creeping into the other forum areas. It gives us a clearly defined place to put things which are very important to us, and yet not really appropriate for any other location on the site.

2. The people here are very smart, and it seems a waste to not have a place where we can hear what they have to say on any given subject. I know personally that I have changed my attitudes and opinions on various subjects based on what I read from members there. I would hate to see that open transfer of knowledge removed.

3. This may be the most important feature of the minefield. Several of our members took it upon themselves to keep us all posted on “2A Rights Watch Issues”. I would really hate to see this particularly useful feature of the minefield removed. And if the minefield is gone for good, then I would urge you to at least make a section available to discuss the 2A and inform members about important upcoming legislation. After all, if the anti’s succeed in their goals, the postings in the other areas will all become, “you remember that Ruger I USED to own.”:(

4. On purely personal reasons, the minefield was one of my favorite places to visit on the site. I had some great discussions with folks here that I’m not able to have in my small town of Hastings, MI. People here WON’T talk politics and religion (at least without a fight breaking out)!

Just my opinions on the matter, like I said, I think I understand why you closed the minefield, I just disagree.
-John

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I am interested about the 2A posts. I had just assumed they'd be ok to post in the tavern. I know some of the links were very informative, and I even downloaded some MP3's to listen to some of the arguments. If it's not allowed in the tavern, I'll make sure not to post there regarding the hearings.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well said John. Thank you.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
373 Posts
i agree with john, the minefield was an important part of this forum. The Minefield was a place for information and to vent if need be. By removing it, it only shows that the minefield was there until it caused an argument.

·
Banned
298 Posts
Frankly, individuals should have been banned. Removal was a pretty drastic first step.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Frankly, individuals should have been banned. Removal was a pretty drastic first step.
i'm not sure banning would have been appropriate until it became personal attacks. But i do agree that total removal was drastic.

I'd vote for put it back, but add personal attacks will not be allowed, and members that attack other members personally would be subject to a ban.

whack em with the ban stick. :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I guess I missed out on the whole thing?

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I was against the minefield because of experience with discussing politics and religion and know you cannot discuss them without interfering with your personal feeling toward those that disagree with you. They are two things that most people feel very strongly about. This board was doing fine until politics got involved. The only politics that have any place on a gun board are those that have to do with our constitutional right to own guns. I don't think anyone would object to linking to articles dealing with the second amendment rights as long as they are the candidates views and not someone else's. Political Party bashing accomplishes nothing and has no place on this Board. Those that have been here since the board started know the fundamentals that this board started on. A place where anyone can come, visit, discuss Ruger Firearms, and enjoy each other in a friendly family atmosphere. That is what we are returning to. Anything that is not good enough for your Mate, 6 yr. old Child, or Minister to read about has no place on this Board. I appreciate all of those that want to make this a nice, family oriented place to visit. We need the cooperation of everyone to keep it this way. We have a lot of great members here and we want to keep it where you can enjoy it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
My heart sunk when I saw the Minefield was gone. I looked forward to going there each day. I am one of the reasons it was shut down. I threw mud and I was wrong. I so regret that. I was wrong in more than one way. Instead of shutting it down, why not ban me and anyone else that committed the same offense? If there had been a 'warning' issued, I don't think any of this would have happened.

I only went to the Tavern, Punchline and Minefield because I really don't belong here. I don't know a hill of beans about guns. The Tavern was like talking to friends, the Punchline made me laugh and the Minefield was a place people could express their views and read the views of others without getting shot. It was a classroom of sorts. It was great while it lasted.

You can find me in the kitchen preparing the game you brought home. I truly apologize you guys. :(

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only politics that have any place on a gun board are those that have to do with our constitutional right to own guns.
I can respect that. I would then ask for a separate area to post about those VERY important issues, that way they won’t get buried in The Tavern or other areas. Maybe just start a location called “The Second Amendment”. That should tell people exactly what belongs there.

I too, will really miss The Minefield.

-John

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I can respect that. I would then ask for a separate area to post about those VERY important issues, that way they won’t get buried in The Tavern or other areas. Maybe just start a location called “The Second Amendment”. That should tell people exactly what belongs there.

I too, will really miss The Minefield.

-John
John, I refer to the last paragraph in your first post. Political discussions in my small town turn into fights. The only reason they don't on the Internet is because you can't physically punch someone. We don't need a second amendment discussion area. People can read and make up their own mind about things. Links to Bills that are up for passage that someone might not be aware of would be beneficial to know about, but we can read them and take whatever personal action we feel is necessary, without discussing it with someone else. I think calling attention to the Bills would be all that is necessary. This can be done in the Tavern or CCW Sections. Please just post Links to the Bills, and refrain from Political discussions.

·
Registered
373 Posts
honestly i'm really not sure what to think of this. I've been trying to sit back and not post what it is i really feel.....but find my fingers keep clicking here so i might as well do it.

I find it a wrong decision that the minefield be taken away, only based on the fact at what the mine field was. The description of the minefield stated anything goes. It did not state that anything goes except.......

I understand that the discussion in question, if it is the one i am thinking about, got out of hand. But it was within the guidelines of what the minefield was set up for. By deleting that entire section only shows that those who have the power make the decisions for all. I honestly believe that warning should have been issued first, and the particular offensive thread be deleted, before the mine field was deleted. As you can see most of the frequent posters, all view the minefield and I will in fact state it was one of my favorite sections. Don't let these posts fall on deaf eyes. Post a poll, and let the forum members decide.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I certainly hope I've not insulted anyone in any of my minefield posts.

I am of the very strong opinion that we gun owners are the only advocates protecting our right to keep and bear arms. Putting a zipper over our mouths when important 2A issues come up will hinder, not help our cause. We need to be able to spread the word when vital legislation comes up.

I've never chosen to label anyone because of their political party affiliation. I know there are politicians from all parties who both attack and support our rights. It's a shame that those who choose to turn RKBA issues into flame wars have ruined our ability to help our cause here.

My posting level here will unfortunately likely drop by 70%+.

Thanks for hosting a fine forum, but I must disagree with the decision to close the minefield. I understand it was done to promote friendship and well being amongst the members (although in an eerily Stepford-ish way). I do understand though that it is a privately owned and run forum, and respect the owners right to do with it as they please.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
When Keith started the Minefield he stated that he was going to try it and see how it worked out. He said nothing about it being permanent. This is not a Majority rule Board. If the Staff doesn't govern the Board, what good are they? We have tried the Minefield and seen the results. While I would like to see everyone stay and be a part of this Board, for those that only want to discuss politics, there are political forums on the Internet. As I have said before, this is a Ruger Board. While you can express your displeasure with closing the Minefield here, if it gets out of hand I will close this thread. The Staff is doing what it thinks is best for the Board.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If it makes any difference, I'd vote to bring back the mine field. True things could and did get a bit warm in there but, as the old saw went, if you cant stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

All it would take is a quick glance at the subject and the reader could make up his/her own mind and act accordingly.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
The minefield was certainly active as i recall by the numbers it was the 2nd most popular board by number of posts----the tavern was 1st. Thats a given---politics is a large easy target to gripe about;).

As a leo, i can appreciate the minefield as a place to blow off some steam in a politically correct world---a place to be politically incorrect for a short while to keep your sanity in an insane world. :)

But the minefield did take a rapid course change over the period of a few weeks. The minefield did have one posted policy in the "sticky"---no personal attacks.

Well, it got extremely personal in my view---from name calling and personal attacks to singleing out individuals.

Accusations directed towards members of:
racism
communism
lack of intelligence
morals
.........just to name a few off the top of my head. And these accusations were not directed at any political parties, govt officials, or leglisation, they were directed at members of this board.

I can appreciate the minefield for what it was---a place full of life and participation where "lively" debates occoured and information was sharred and discussed much in a manor of coffee drinkers at the shop---there was an air of "friends".

I can not appreciate the minefield for for what it had become. A place that had become dark and hateful with attacks, hi-jackings, and a taking of "sides".

The only way the minefield will work is two ways:
1. members must police themselves
2. as an "unmoderated" board, it needs a moderator---perhaps two moderators.

Free Speech is a wonderful thing just like our 2A rights.
The best analogy i can make is this: You have the right to keep and bear arms, but it is irresponsible to be hunting and shoot at a noise in a bush---tragady can happen if you don't take responsibility for your own actions. Well the same thing happened here with free speech in the minefield----we were taking aims at the issues and wound up taking shots at each other instead.

Call it my fault. As a member of this best forum on the net, i should had spoken up much sooner and hit the notify admin button early on to nip it in the bud, but i didn't and it grew into a huge problem...........

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
calvin-----i ain't gonna jump ship. This is a great forum you have here and about one of the friendliest places on the net.

I certainly understand and respect ya'll's decision about the minefield. The minefield was a "privilage"---not a right.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You know, all of us were not on the debate team in high school. We have opinions and it takes a while for some of us to figure out how to have a discussion on contentious issues without getting our blood preasure up. Figure it out==>what we do or say here has little, if any effect on the actual outcome of a particular subject or event. Yeah, it took lots of us to get to this point. But, I thought we were working through this particular problem. I think many/most of us had already done the adult thing by using the ignore function. And, based on what I was reading from some who hadn't, the outcast may have been starting to figure it out. Oh well, your house, your rules. It's still a good resource for Rugers.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i'm not about to jump ship either, i love this board for what it was. I'm just trying to point out that it was an unmoderated board, and it was very popular, by deleting the board only proves to the points of those arguments that were in the minefield. Those involved should have been discreetly emailed about the situation, and the thread closed, not the whole board. The minefield was a good source for information, and news.

But as i can see it doesn't matter what the members want, just as long as we're all quiet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.