Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was one of those rare days in Michigan, warm and sunny! And I guess you know what that means……range trip!

My (other) boy and his new Sig 220 were supposed to go, but he had forgotten he had an archery match after he got out of work, so a report on the Sig will have to wait. I just went on ahead by myself late this morning because it was just too good a day to waste doing things you can do on a crappy day.

I had several items I wanted to sort out, but I needed to get the most urgent done first because I just can’t get that much stuff in the car and carried back to the range in only one trip, so I loaded the Ruger #1 in .270 Weatherby magnum, the Henry lever .22 LR, Ruger .480 SRH, and the ever present P90.

First up was the #1. I have been having accuracy problems ever since I accurized it, that plus the search for just the right load rendered many unknowns. The problems are actually more centered more around the harmonics than the load because before I screwed around with it, the #1 didn’t seem to be too fussy.

I had a load of 130 grain Remington Core-Lokt over Accurate 3100 that it likes, so I went with that. I fired 5 rounds at 100 yards, and as I was shooting, I could readily see that the results were better than they have been since before I messed with it. Definite progress.

I got a group about 1” with the #1, which I hadn’t seen for awhile, so I tightened the Hick’s accuizer in a couple of more turns and the group tightened up a bit in the next round. I suspect that if I had not been hurrying and if I didn’t have a cannon going off next to me making me jump, it would have been a little better.

Next up was the Henry lever action .22lr. I had picked up some “High Velocity rounds” to try out and found them shooting a little lower than the Remington bulk pack I had been using. I still does surprisingly well at 100 yards.

Then on to the Ruger .480 SRH.

I had a few new loads to try out while trying to get used to the Bushnell Red dot. After about 30 rounds at assorted distances and loads, my results were disappointing. I have more work to do with this big revolver and maybe even go back to a scope. I just don’t do well with the red dot. One thing that was clear, however, was that it was high and left at 100 yards. An adjustment to the red dot and it got a little better.

And then on to the last one, my P90, my constant companion and the apple of my eye; I love this pistol!

I had 150 rounds of the JHPs that would not work in the Sig magazines, but they functioned flawlessly in the Ruger magazines. The P90 had been shooting a little low, so I put some hot loads together with 230 grain JHPs and Unique and the problem was a distant memory. I don’t know how many thousands of rounds I’ve put through this P90 over the years, but it’s a lot and it loves it, and I love shooting it!

I still have two other rifles and at least a half dozen different loads to try out, but I guess they’ll have to wait for another nice day. And in Michigan, who knows when that will be?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Sure wish I'd been with you-you had all the fun today! Friday sucked around here-70's and sunny-no outside work to do!!!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yep! I know what you mean about Michigan weather. I lived in Angola Indiana for about 9 years. Drove trucks all over that state.
Sounds like you had a good day there Bunzo. Of corse anyday shooting is a good day. Sure would have liked to been there.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I was supposed to go to an indoor range with some of my friends from work but the boss was out sick so I had to work while they went to the range without me. There is a guy at work that is wanting to get into handguns and I was wanting him to shoot my P95.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts