Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbe here, Wow, what a great resource you all (ya'll) are... getting used to the language spoken in the Carolinas, new to the area and loving it. Formerly CA native, but had to leave after 75 years... so glad I did.
I'm going to jump in, if you don't mind. I purchased a beautiful unfired (except for factory round) Blackhawk 50th Anniversary .357 a few years back - anticipating shooting it, but realizing it's likely worth more as a collector's item than an occasional shooter, so I will be buying a Ruger GP100. Curious about the value of the Blackhawk - nothing is perfect, but this one is near perfect. In the box with all the literature and factory shell casing in unopened packet, and the provided Ruger lock. Pistol serial no. is 520-0326 packaged 08/08/2005 in Southport, CT - thanks

Attachments

·
Banned
27 Posts
Newbe here, Wow, what a great resource you all (ya'll) are... getting used to the language spoken in the Carolinas, new to the area and loving it. Formerly CA native, but had to leave after 75 years... so glad I did.
I'm going to jump in, if you don't mind. I purchased a beautiful unfired (except for factory round) Blackhawk 50th Anniversary .357 a few years back - anticipating shooting it, but realizing it's likely worth more as a collector's item than an occasional shooter, so I will be buying a Ruger GP100. Curious about the value of the Blackhawk - nothing is perfect, but this one is near perfect. In the box with all the literature and factory shell casing in unopened packet, and the provided Ruger lock. Pistol serial no. is 520-0326 packaged 08/08/2005 in Southport, CT - thanks
I saw one listed on GB for 750 bucks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should shoot it, not sell it
Yeah, but... if someone out there wanted it as a collector piece - shooting it would ruin it for them. I've been debating with myself for a couple years - but, I am noticing the guns are only $100-$200 difference in the auctions.. nice to have it, but someone else might enjoy it more that me...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
All revolvers are in short supply. Down the road, production will pick up and the price spread between unfired and fired, but in good condition, will be greater.

If you need the money, that means sell it. If you don’t need the money, I can think of worse things to park my money in….like tech stocks or crypto-currency.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
If you need the funds from the sale of the Blackhawk to buy the GP you desire, sell it. If you don't need the $, my vote is keep it, shoot it. You'll hurt its value some. So What. Life is short and it's a quality single action in a handy configuration. Take care of it and don't hammer nails. If you're into guns, you'll consider a single action revolver at some point, I'd bet, and say dam I shouldn't have sold that Blackhawk. Good luck and welcome CarolinaDJ from the other coast! Oh yeah, it is "y'all".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All revolvers are in short supply. Down the road, production will pick up and the price spread between unfired and fired, but in good condition, will be greater.

If you need the money, that means sell it. If you don’t need the money, I can think of worse things to park my money in….like tech stocks or crypto-currency.
so true - I think I'm anticipating my wife's reaction to the GP100 coming home.....

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yeah, but... if someone out there wanted it as a collector piece - shooting it would ruin it for them. I've been debating with myself for a couple years - but, I am noticing the guns are only $100-$200 difference in the auctions.. nice to have it, but someone else might enjoy it more that me...
You sound like you are trying to sell yourself on the idea. If the gun is in great shape and the fit and finish is nice then you REALLY have a keeper.
My experience is, Ruger's QC is lacking these days compared to the past. If you are 75+ years in age then it is time to treat yourself to the pleasures
of shooting a NICE GUN. When you kick the bucket let someone else worry about who gets that gun after that. It will still get a pretty penny because
today's inflation means that the price will only go up. You can shoot it and care for it responsibly and keep it in great condition and it's collective value
will always be there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You sound like you are trying to sell yourself on the idea. If the gun is in great shape and the fit and finish is nice then you REALLY have a keeper.
My experience is, Ruger's QC is lacking these days compared to the past. If you are 75+ years in age then it is time to treat yourself to the pleasures
of shooting a NICE GUN. When you kick the bucket let someone else worry about who gets that gun after that. It will still get a pretty penny because
today's inflation means that the price will only go up. You can shoot it and care for it responsibly and keep it in great condition and it's collective value
will always be there.
good reasoning my friend... it is a very nice gun .. the cowboy cap guns and quick draw times as a kid .. the Blackhawk takes me back a few years - a bit heavier though and a lot louder.. but then again, I'm bigger and can't hear anyway - "my wife will understand"

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I would use it for its intended purpose...shooting it. If it brings YOU more joy to look at it in pristine condition than don't shoot it. I bought a snubnose GP100 357 magnum 7 shot (chamber issues included ) for my wife and still regret selling it to finance another purchase.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Carolina DJ:
Welcome to the forum and you have good taste in nice Rugers.
A new, mint condition Blackhawk 357 Anniversary model sold recently (June 25th) for $650 on Gunbroker.
Ruger New Model Blackhawk 357 - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 937426698
I would keep this beautiful all-steel Ruger and shoot it. It is a gem to both look at and to use and yours is gorgeous. They weigh right at 45 ounces empty, so they attenuate the .357 Magnum recoil very nicely in comparison to the aluminum grip frame / aluminum ejector housing, standard Blackhawks.
J.D. Press

·
Registered
Security Six, GP100
84 Posts
I agree with the others that say keep it and shoot it. I don’t think an unfired gun and one that has been fired is that far apart price wise. Shoot it and enjoy it.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,358 Posts
SCCWP, For true collectors, a fired gun in "like new" condition will be valued about $100 lower than the same gun that has not been fired. Just a note .... Ruger test fires all the guns they manufacture with proof loads but they usually don't clean them before they are shipped. So, the best condition for collectors is a revolver with 2 or 3 dirty chambers and a dirty bore. The factory and most other sources tell you to clean and lubricate a new gun before firing so it's unusual to find a true "unfired by owner" and factory test fired dirty gun. Having been in the business since the early 70s, I learned how to tell the difference between "lightly used" and "factory new".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts