Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
At the risk of making all Patriot fans mad I think he is guilty as sin and should be suspended. There is no way IMO that as an experienced quarterback as he is could not tell a difference in the feel of the football. If he did not ask it be done he had to have noticed and said nothing.

I also think it is one heck of a waste of the taxpayers dollars to have something like this taking up Federal court time. The NFL, Patriots, players union and Brady ought to have to pay back the taxpayers for this colossal waste of time.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Really matters little to me.............but when you have EVERY ex quarterback analyst, as well as current QBs, say they keep a VERY close eye on the psi to get it where they want it and where it feels right...............for him to maintain that he has no clue. Well apparently he would be the ONLY QB who doesn't care.............yeah, right.

Overall, it seems like a big nothing to me. If he had just said, "yeah, I like the balls on the low side and we got them a little too low"...............that would have been the end of it, maybe a small fine, but then it transforms into this farce. What a waste of time and money

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm not a NE fan but the facts are the facts .... if the deflated balls gave the Pats an advantage, why are their stats for the second half (when all game balls were inflated to standard pressure) better than they were in the first half ... even IF Brady knew about it, the lower pressure footballs didn't provide any documentable advantage .... from a detailed report this morning, the Federal Judge found the NFL simply didn't prove its case .... that being true, he should have ruled as he did

·
Super Moderator
16,279 Posts
It would appear that Goodell is a bit "deflated" with the decision :rolleyes:. If they didn't prove the case, he only has himself to blame.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I'm not a NE fan but the facts are the facts .... if the deflated balls gave the Pats an advantage, why are their stats for the second half (when all game balls were inflated to standard pressure) better than they were in the first half ... even IF Brady knew about it, the lower pressure footballs didn't provide any documentable advantage .... from a detailed report this morning, the Federal Judge found the NFL simply didn't prove its case .... that being true, he should have ruled as he did
Advantage or not isn't the point. They were under the specified pressure and about that seems to be no debate. The balls didn't set themselves to lower pressure, so SOMEBODY did. And the Patriots answer is "we don't know"..............well, SOMEBODY knows and I don't think it takes much to see that the QB is likely one who does.

Again, I think it's much ado about nothing, but a rule WAS broken and you break a rule, you face the consequences...........it's that simple.

And I don't agree that a Judge should be able to over turn this. The commissioner is granted the power to basically do as he sees fit under the collective bargaining agreement. So how is it right that a federal judge can over turn that. Seems about the same as taking a moderator HERE to court because he kicked you off and you don't like his reason why. Reason doesn't matter, it's HIS reason and he for all intents and purposes runs the place, so he calls the shots

·
Registered
571 Posts
And I don't agree that a Judge should be able to over turn this. The commissioner is granted the power to basically do as he sees fit under the collective bargaining agreement. So how is it right that a federal judge can over turn that.

in addition to the Judge finding that there is no direct proof of Brady's involvement, he also stated specific provisions of the collective bargaining agreement that were violated by the commissioner .... agree or disagree, that agreement between the players and commissioner contains the right of appeal .... as noted, I'm not a Pat's fan, never have been

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
What was never pointed out in the Wells report was some of the Colts footballs were under inflated as well. Let's face it the rest of the league hates the Patriots because they win. They have been in 7 Superbowls in the last 18 years and have 4 rings. It was a hit job by Goodell and it backfired. Now they are going to appeal it. Personally I think the League should reimburse the NFLPA for their legal cost and Brady should sue for defamation of character.

The game in question the Pats won 45-3. I guess someone was deflated by that.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
Really matters little to me.............but when you have EVERY ex quarterback analyst, as well as current QBs, say they keep a VERY close eye on the psi to get it where they want it and where it feels right...............for him to maintain that he has no clue. Well apparently he would be the ONLY QB who doesn't care.............yeah, right.

Overall, it seems like a big nothing to me. If he had just said, "yeah, I like the balls on the low side and we got them a little too low"...............that would have been the end of it, maybe a small fine, but then it transforms into this farce. What a waste of time and money
+1

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Much Ado About Nothing....time to play ball. It will be awkward for Goodall to hand the Vince Lombardi Trophy to the Pats if they win the Super Bowl again...

·
Registered
20 Posts
WHY have a head of a football if every decision he makes can be contested by every doper and whiney player who can run to a federal judge and get relief. Besides what the hell does a federal judge have to do with football rulings any way? Just more government interference!

·
Registered
803 Posts
The absolute worst thing about this whole thing is the Patriots are good enough to win without this kind of stuff. Yet they do have a proven track record of penny ante shenanigans that tarnish an otherwise great organization. That in turn reflects poorly on the NFL. That is why they need hammered on this.

Tom Brady is one of the all time great QBs. Now no matter what else happens he will carry this black mark all the way to the Hall of Fame. Long after people have forgotten his accomplishments he will be remembered as being part of this stupid stunt whether he knew it or not.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If it was that important, the NFL should have had better controls in place. Hopefully they learn from this. I'm ready to move on.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
What was never pointed out in the Wells report was some of the Colts footballs were under inflated as well. Let's face it the rest of the league hates the Patriots because they win. They have been in 7 Superbowls in the last 18 years and have 4 rings. It was a hit job by Goodell and it backfired. Now they are going to appeal it. Personally I think the League should reimburse the NFLPA for their legal cost and Brady should sue for defamation of character.

Spoken like a TRUE Patriots fan............LOL!!! I personally could care less about the Patriots, I neither hate them, nor like them........just another team I have no feelings one way or another.

Well accepted, they have a GREAT organization..........or do they? Been caught with their hand in the cookie jar more than once, but obviously have the talent and know how not to have to resort to such antics, but do it anyway. Seems to prove that even GREAT organizations and owners that are revered as saints, have the same thing in common as every other team. WIN and do it by any means required.

Love him or hate him, at least the late Al Davis was always upfront. His goal was "just win baby" and that is what he was going to try and do by any means needed and didn't care if you knew about it. He admittedly pushed the rules, looked for gray areas and told you he was doing so. THAT I respected.................So the argument that we are all saints and the league is just out to get us is pretty lame from my point of view.

I don't recall any other league led witch hunts, against say the Yankees, the Bulls, Celtics or Lakers, when those teams were dominating everyone else, so what makes the NFL and the Patriots so special that everybody wants to single them out. In my opinion.........nothing. It's just the card they choose to play

·
Registered
358 Posts

People don't like the Patriots because they got caught cheating multiple times and their QB is a douche' bag.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Karma is a rough mistress. This will come back to haunt Ms. Brady some way or another. How did it work out for O.J. I'm not making a moral equivalent between murdering two people and cheating at football. I'm simply suggesting that you cannot escape the wrath of Karma. It always wins in the end.

Anyone with an ounce of objectivity knows the balls were intentionally deflated. Who did it is pretty clear, the equipment managers. Why they did it and under whose direction is where the grey area is. New England fans think they acted alone. A lot of the rest of us think they were directed by someone because there's no way they do that on their own. No reason to. Somebody suggested that lower pressure was better. Who that somebody might have been was never definitively proven. Logic suggest a very obvious answer but in a federal court house logic isn't evidence.

Congrats Tommy Boy you got away with this one. If I were you I'd keep a close look over your shoulder. Karma is coming and she's pissed!

PS: As to the idea that it didn't make a difference in the Colts game, I agree. However, that's only a valid excuse if you believe this was the one and only time it ever happened. In all probability it's been going on for a while and over a big enough sample of games it probably did make a difference in at least one game. One critical pass completed at a crucial time could have made the difference in a game somewhere along the line.

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
People don't like the Patriots because they got caught cheating multiple times and their QB is a douche' bag.
Assume you are talking about Spygate which they were singled out. Multiple times? That is one because they didn't do anything with deflate gate. The NFL tested 4 balls used by the Colts in that game and found 3 to be underinflated. :eek: Looks like the Colts are cheaters as well. Actually those that want to objectively look at the problem realize there is a scientific reason called the Ideal Gas law. Brady liked the footballs at 12.5# which is legal. They tested underinflated at halftime because it was 35 degrees colder on the field. The Ideal Gas Law is:

PV=nRT the T is temperature. :rolleyes:

Tom Brady is the greatest QB in NFL history, a first ballot lock to the Hall of Fame and about to win his 5th Superbowl ring. The Pats don't rely on karma they just do their job.

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
I can't help but think that destroying his phone was pretty much the same as pleading the 5th, which innocent people don't do.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts