Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,

So my cylinder got really stiff and it was getting hard to rotate it with both single and double action. So I decided to see if it was something rubbing against the crane (or just grime). I disassembled the cylinder and cleaned everything. It was pretty gummy and the cylinder now turns freely again, so problem solved there.

My possible issue now is that the space where the crane gets folder back into the gun when the cylinder is closed seems like it may be wider than it should be. I don't have memory of what it looked like before because I never noticed it until taking apart the cylinder. There aren't really any photos to compare it too so I thought to ask any of you with redhawks and compare. I have included a picture. I have centered the picture to show the possible spacing issue.

So I want to make sure this is a tolerable gap and not something that will jeopardize the safety of the weapon and/or shooter. I also want to know if I need to take this to Ruger if it is not safe. I went shooting with it today (before I broke down the cylinder for cleaning) and it performed normally. The gun also seems to operate fine dry-firing after re-assembly. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks in advance

JP

PS: It is a 5.5 blued redhawk.
PPS: Here is a direct link to the photo if you can't see it.
special gun time

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Did you buy the gun used?

It looks like the crane may be "sprung", from someone flipping the cylinder open and closed, which is, btw, the WORST thing to do to a revolver.

Does the crane lock engage the slot in the frame?

That gap looks excessive, and it should not be that loose.

I don't know if Ruger will be able to come up with a spare blued Redhawk crane to fix it,but they can probably straighten it.

I hope this isn't the issue, a 5.5" .44 blue Redhawk is a gun that I absolutely lust after, I have never seen one for sale anywhere.:) I hate to hear of one that could be damaged.

I know a good gunsmith can fix that, there is a tool that is made to fix bent cranes but I don't think just any corner gun shop gunsmith has the skills or tools to do this kind of stuff anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was given the gun as a gift from my brother. It was his for a while before he gave it to me. It was used some but not too much in that time.

When the cylinder is closed the crane lock is fully in the frame slot as far as I can tell. I can see it moving in and out when I depress the cylinder release. I guess that means that it is probably okay since both the front and back of the cylinder are secure.

I know it's a collectable now since Ruger discontinued it and I have no plans on ever trading it. I want to keep it in as good of shape as possible while still being able to use it often. I'll call some local smiths and see if they have the right tools, but mainly have them check to see if there is a problem to begin with. It may just be that the spacing on this one is a little wider than most.

Thanks for the reply and info. If you have any other thoughts please post!

JP

1 - 3 of 3 Posts