Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up during the 40's and 50's and we had relatives that worked for the Denver and Rio Grande Western Ry in Denver...used to go to the "works" and watch the steam engines leave the round houses for the day's work..it was really enjoyable...this is in Europe but the situation is pretty much the same...this is probably a group of excursion locomotives...but still impressive.

https://youtu.be/nh5NHob56-Y

·
Registered
549 Posts
There is or was a working one in my home town of Logansport, Indiana.......robin

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Roanoke, Va was a big junction when I was a kid. They built lots of coal cars there for N&W Railroad, who hauled coal east to the port in Norfolk. Heavily traveled East West run across Va and West Va. They had a roundhouse. They later merged with Southern Railroad.

When I was young, there was an old country song we use to quote "Head for the Roundhouse Nellie, he can't corner you there".....sometime in the '40s

I know some of you won't get it, but neither did he.:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I live in Mansfield Ohio, just a stones throw from Crestline. Crestline used to have a roundhouse, some of which I believe may still be standing, although I have not been over to see it for quite a few years.
My favorite railroad is The Nickle Plate. When I was just a kid, my parents had a boat docked at lake Erie near Huron. To get from the dock to the lake we had to pass under the Nickle Plate bridge and we used to run over to the Nickle Plate beach to swim sometimes.

Good times. Damn I'm gettin' old.....

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Is this where the term "round house kick" comes from? Like getting hit by a train?

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Very cool! Never actually saw one operate before.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Great stuff OPOS!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts