Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went with a buddy shooting for his first time yesterday! Not only was he a great shot (all his shots were within 6" of the 'X' at 15-20') but he did it with 4 different calibers (.22lr, 9mm, .357 mag, and .45 Colt)!

Standing 6' 4" and having rather large hands...he chose a Glock 17 in 9mm as his first gun purchase! He really liked the .357 mag. revolver, but he wanted something that was cheaper to shoot and in a semi-auto format for a first pistol!

Overall...I'd say he's pretty happy with the 3 hours we spent at the range and LGS yesterday! He'd been thinking about it for a long time...he's just so busy owning his own business that he never has time to get to the range when it's open! Yesterday, it all worked out!

I'm just glad that I was able to be there, help him to understand the basics of safety, give him a few pointers on gripping the gun properly, picking a good stance, etc. to help him get started off on the right foot!

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
We definitely need more informed and trained shooters,thanks for helping get another one out there...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Something to even be more proud of...is the fact that you introduced someone new to shooting sports and the fun that it can be and you added yet one more gun owner to the nation. In order to preserve our second amendment rights, that is pretty important to do.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
well done! i don't think i would have picked up shooting as a hobby this past summer had it not been for encouraging, knowledgeable friends. makes all the difference.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
great going. when I have introduced people to shooting in Nj sometimes they loose a sense of desire to get a long gun or handgun in the 2-4 months or more that it takes a 1st time applicant to get a firearms permit. Yes you read correctly those wait times are typical and then when the person get's the permit they go to the store which does a nics check anyway.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup...he is pleased with his new purchase...and looks forward to being able to shoot on a regular basis as well as begin to add a few more 'toys' to his stable. He really liked my wife's 870 Tactical...and wants an AR someday as well! It's gonna be fun helpin' him learn all there is about the different choices available!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
That's great, I can remember my introduction to the sport.
And thinking..... What took me so long.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I was interested into shooting for awhile. Ever since my first time at the range a few years back with a friend back then. It wasn't until a few months ago that another friend invited me to go shooting with him that REALLY got me into it. I never thought I would own a firearm even a few! I thought it would be difficult to get a Handgun Safety Cert and that prevented me from getting a gun and get into shooting. But after my friend said it was easy and all common sense, I took it and passed. Now here I am 3 months into it and 3 Rugers later. HAHA!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts