Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from Amazon, called a "Generic" multi-reticle red or green reflex sight. The same model is sold under other brand names for more money, such as Dagger Defense, but their reviews didn't smell right. They looked legitimate, but my spidey senses suggested they could be very cleverly crafted false reviews. It was too perfect, if you know what I mean. I could be totally wrong, however.

Reading the reviews on the "Generic" sight, they had a different feel to them, and were very positive, so I took the small gamble. Hope to shoot it soon.

The unit has a good solid feel and appears to be very well made. The reticles are ok, with variable brightness. I guess the circle and crosshair reticles are for close quarter combat on targets so large the light doesn't totally obscure them. The dot by itself may obscure all but the closest squirrels. Not as good as a glass scope, but for a Charger I think it'll do all I need.

I thought if it was good, I'd get one for my 10/22, but it seems to sit up very high and the cheek weld may not work out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
JMO, but I recommend you look at a little higher quality red dot for the 10/22. You might decide it works better on the Charger too. This Primary Arms sight is very good and has a great reputation.

Primary Arms Micro Dot Fixed Base GII

It will mount directly on the rail and therefore sit much lower.

Also the Bushnell TRS-25 for about the same price.
Amazon.com : Bushnell Trophy Red Dot TRS-25 3 MOA Red Dot Reticle Riflescope, 1x25mm (Matte), Colors May Vary : Rifle Scopes : Sports & Outdoors

Both will sit lower on the rail without a riser. The PA has a 2 MOA dot and the Bushnell has a 3 MOA dot which will allow for more precise aiming than a 5 MOA dot.

They both cost more than the generic, but you get so much more quality and reliability for the money.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've tried several inexpensive red dots over the years , UTG/ Leapers , Truglo and Simmons most will work fine on light recoiling firearms some might even surprise you on a .223 ... Lets us know how she does I like the design .

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought a Simmons Red Dot in the current Wal-Mart clearance sale. Normally $50 on closeout for $25. It too is going on a Charger. I'll report back after I try it out.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I agree, on a 22 you'll be fine. Iffy on a 44 mag and so on.

All of these inexpensive red dots come out of the same factories in China, regardless of the label. That's why the similarities. It's mostly going to be a matter of how much QC and CS the brand that sells them is willing to invest in the product. That's why it's a bit safer to buy them from big name labels with a good rep for customer service.

Under $100, my vote is the Bushnell TRS-25.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I have a BSA Red Dot & it has given me good service on a air pistol, then my new Charger, then back to the air pistol.

I ended up putting a Nikon Prostaff 4X on the Charger & its accurate.
Pics are in the Charger forum & the Range Report forum if you want to see what it looks like. The BSA red dot works great, but as others have said, a 5 MOA is too big past 25 yards. If you plinking cans, it's fine, but for serious bench work, you need a scope.

As others have said, the Bushnell TRS 25 is very nice.

Maybe yours is for an AR platform, & that's why it's so high!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had a cheap BSA red dot that looked like it was put together by a child.. Crappy glue welds and not very solid.. The light would go dim on its own and magically get brighter with recoil on my 22.
I have upgraded to the ultimate cheap red dot, a Bushnell TRs-25 and love it!!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
So... the "generic" model of those red dot sights typically have relatively bad starbursts on the dot, as the glass quality and the emitter quality aren't as good as on the name brand version of the same sight. But if you don't have starbursts out of the gate, and you just mount it on a 22lr, they tend to hold up reasonably well... A 44mag will crush the adjustments such that you'll fight to hold zero after time...

HOWEVER...

The windage adjustment screw is usually poorly fit, such that it lets the upper housing swing a bit. It's spring loaded, to keep itself bottomed against the screw, but over time, it'll hang in its travel, so you'll get lateral drift.

You'll also notice that you'll get a shift in POI when you change from one "reticle" to the next with the swing lever.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Frustrating range day. The Generic sight refused to adjust to zero. No matter how I spun the adjustments it didn't change the POI. But the indoor range was very dark, I didn't bring the instructions with me, and I can't see crap without my reading glasses.

I also shot my 10/22 with Tech Sights, which was much more satisfying. Even with my eyesight, and how my cheek weld forces me to peer through the very top corner of my protective eyewear, which tends to get smudged with perspiration and even fogged up, I got some actual bullseyes at 25 yards and fair groups with CCI Mini Mags. Off-hand with a sling.

I'll see what's going on with the reflex sight, but I'm definitely getting a good simple optical scope for the 10/22. Until I get lasik or something, I'm done fighting the iron sights.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The height on that red dot OP, looks to be set up for AR use. I have an inexpensive TruGlo red dot, on a 9mm carbine, and so far it has worked great. Time will tell, but for the 35 dollars I paid for it, I am satisfied.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Frustrating range day. The Generic sight refused to adjust to zero. No matter how I spun the adjustments it didn't change the POI. But the indoor range was very dark, I didn't bring the instructions with me, and I can't see crap without my reading glasses.

I'll see what's going on with the reflex sight, but I'm definitely getting a good simple optical scope for the 10/22. Until I get lasik or something, I'm done fighting the iron sights.
Been there and did that with my wife's 10/22 a few weekends ago with cheap red dot from Cabelas. They both went back. Bought a Vortex scope and love it. Very bright, great scope for the Ruger.

Amazon.com : Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 Rimfire Riflescope with V-Plex Reticle DBK-RIM : Rifle Scopes : Sports & Outdoors

1 - 17 of 17 Posts