Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LGS has them 30.00 OTD. Figured why not? Give one a try. It will run a few rounds and stove pipe. When it does there is already a fresh round in the chamber. I looked up fixes. The 22 casing fix wont work. Because the newer one has a redesigned follower. I read about letting it loaded a few days. Tried that no good. Does it with a few brands of ammo. Lesson learned. Glad my 10 rounders are good.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,683 Posts
The BX magazines are a roll of the dice. The ten round mags are very reliable in my two 10/22's and my Charger. Next up in reliability are my BX-25 magazines, but I will often have at least one stoppage per magazine. The worst is the BX-15 that came with the Charger. There is usually a stoppage getting through fifteen shots. The larger BX mags work better in some guns than others. They definitely run better with some ammo types compared to others. Try standard and high velocity ammo. Test round nose and hollow point loads. See if copper plated bullets work better than lubricated lead. You might find the magic combination that works in your gun. Good luck!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tried Winchester copper plated hollow points,The federal match ammo. Thunder bolts and CCI blazers. And the Winchester M-22. I did see a video where a guy put tape on the back of the mag. Because they are a little shorter at the box area. Mine are a little short too. I'll give that a try.

·
Exchequer
4,500 Posts
Yeah. I have a Ruger BX 25 magazine that works well - almost most of the time, sometimes, depending ....

The primary problem is that it does not feed reliably with most any ammo. I'll get a few good rounds off and then it'll jam up with a stovepipe and I'll have to clear it and try to keep going. I'd bought a speed loader for the BX 25 and it seems to me that I have fewer problems with the magazine when I load by hand as opposed to using the speed loader. Oh, well, live and learn.

I typically shoot only CCI Mini Mags (Stingers if the Mini Mags are out of stock) and have had virtually zero feed problems with the factory 10 round rotary mags.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My son has some of the Troy Landry mini-mags. I'll give them a try. Yeah with the 10 round mags anything works with them.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I bought my first 10/22 in 1971 , have tried just about every after market mag. that came down the pike ....even a 50 round drum magazine that you wound up with a key .
The bottom line ...The Best most dependable 10/22 magazine is the factory 10 round rotary . Clip two of them together if you want ... but that's the most dependable magazine .
The 50 round pro-mag drum was sketchy at best ...factory 10 round the most reliable and lasts the longest .
Gary

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've read before that a KIDD magazine plunger with upgraded spring was a fix for these issues. I installed the plunger and spring months ago before ever trying the larger magazines and my last range outing, I shot a few of the bx15s without issue.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Make sure that when you are using the BX-25 mags that you do not rest the mag on anything. It doesn't take much pressure at all to push them out of proper alignment and that will definitely cause feeding issues.

Also, keep them clean, and cleaning and polishing the internals of the mag will make them more reliable, but nothing beats the rotary mags.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
My son has some of the Troy Landry mini-mags. I'll give them a try. Yeah with the 10 round mags anything works with them.
The Troy Landry who hollers " CHOOT EM" ... His own line of gator killin CCI Mini-Mags ... where can I get some ???
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
It's interesting to see different responses to the BX mag issue. I have two BX 25 rounders I've not used yet. Both my BX 15 rounders work fine and I've had no problems. I agree the 10 rounders have always been reliable for me. However, I've heard others need to "tune" them.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've got a couple of BX25s and they work more often than not. I've emptied them multiple times in succession with no issues. Then they get a bit finicky...then they work again with no problems. They're a lot of fun to shoot even with a misfeed or two.

I've decided to stock up with the tri-mags instead. It's kind of like using a BX25 and having a misfeed every 10th round, and you get 30 round total. You can get pretty quick with mag changes with a little practice.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called Ruger about it. They said mail it back and they will send a new one. Im going to try the Gorilla tape trick. To help it fit tighter. The Chootem ammo he got before the new panic set in. Academy or Cabala's i think he ordered it from. I like the tri-mag coupler too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You could try this if you like. The BX25's are shorter than the 10 round mags and they wobble in the magazine well. It may cause alignment issues when feeding and the spent cases are ejected on it so if it's "off" it can cause problems. I roughed the two spots up and used some JB weld to build it up to the same dimension as the 10 round rotary mags. It did help. Using CCI's also seems to reduce the amount of failures.
10.22 magazine2.jpg
10.22 magazine.jpg

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes i saw they were shorter. If the tape trick works. The JB weld would be a more permanent fix. Thanks for the idea. I didn't get out to try today. It was way to hot here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I run card stock (or those magnetic business cards insurance brokers and realtors send in the mail) held in place with a basic glue stick from the craft drawer. Works great with the 15 and 25 round mags, does not interfere with the standard 10 round mags, and is easy to clean up and replace when needed. The ones in the pic are about ready to be replaced. The business cards hold up better, but don't stay stuck in place as well as card stock. Some folks at the range laugh at the solution, but it works for me.
1022 mag.jpg

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Success today. I tried the tape trick it worked. Im going to make a shim out if a thin plastic sheet. I have different thickness ones on hand.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have 3 or 4 of the old Ram-line 25 rounders and also had a couple of the 50 rounders that were the wind up type. All of them work fairly well with few jams. The 50 rounders both broke and were discarded years ago but I still have the Ram-line mags and the auto-loader for them as well, which works on all 10/22 mags. However, not too long ago I bought one of the GSG 110 round rotary mags (it was on sale and I think was $40) and other than the fact they say not to use externally lubed ammo (not much .22lr that isn't, actually), it worked just fine with some el cheapo off brand of copper washed bullets and only suffered 1 or 2 jams during the entire drum! I'm not sure exactly how it comes apart but I would assume there would be spring everywhere but then I really don't think a few (hundred) rounds of whatever is cheap will kill it to the point some WD40 wouldn't fix it right back up (although it might take a day or two to drain!). It's a bit unwieldy to shoot with but should work well with a BMF Activator type crank and looks pretty rad on the rifle. Or stick it in your 77/22 and shoot it for the next month or so!
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The question I have is, why did Ruger change the dimensions on the BX 25? I haven't had any trouble with the BX 25 or BX 15 mags in my circa 1973 10/22. This is the first I've heard that the BX 25s were a bit shorter. Now you made me look. I'll dig mine out and compare them to the BX 10s.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts