Ruger Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was wondering why too. I tried mine out with the shim i made. No good. So i put one on the front of the mag too. It fits real snug now. Planing on getting out today to test it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The 110 round, GSG mag fits as tight as any styock 10 rounder I have. It locks up in both of my 10/22's and my 77/22. The GSG website shows them as "not available" but has no more information. Several places here in the US still have them but the price has gone up to the $60 range now. Here are pics of my 77/22 and my AMT target rifle, a "pseudo 10/22" (all stainless copy) with the GSG mag. By the way, this thing is heavy at about 26 oz empty. It's definitely German quality, tho!
20200731_171526.jpg
20200731_171318.jpg

Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well the mags going back to ruger. Im not having any luck. No matter what tweak i try. I don't really want another, Maybe they will be nice and send me a BX 10 instead. I'll ask when i explain why im sending it back.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought one of the things years ago. It would take spells of not feeding well, but I havn't used it in years. Some because of the feeding, but more so because the damn thing just gets in the way when I'm shooting. It's a novelty. Why does anyone need a 25 shot magazine in a .22?

·
Registered
202 Posts
"Why does anyone need a 25 shot magazine in a .22?"
I guess you've never been in a big field full of prairie dogs??
And by the way, I've never had issues with my BX-25 mags, they run right through to the end.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If your loading your BX-25 by hand you are going to get jams. Use a MagLula specifically designed by the Israelis for all Ruger BX magazines.
The MagLula locks on the mag and has release tab on it to remove when finished loading. I don't know of any mag loader that does that. When loading it depresses each round in the mag exactly the same way. Impossible to do that by hand.
If you buy the loader and UN loader kit it's a plus.
To test your mags, load a BX-25 by hand then use the MagLula unloader to unload it. You will see that sometimes a round will flip and there is your jam.
Now use the MagLula loader and then use the un loader and you will see a big difference.

The 110 round, GSG mag works great but you must follow the directions. One big No No are WAXED bullets. You must also follow the maintenance program with it. They also recommend that before you insert the mag the bolt should be locked back.

By NOT locking back the bolt before inserting any mag in a 10/22 you are putting unnecessary wear on both.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have a loader ordered. I'll hang on to the mag for now. I did notice the jams are at random when they start. After they do start. It does it every other round sometimes. I can manually cycle the whole mag loaded no issues.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I picked up 2 of the BX25's for my new Charger. First time around I had several issues and thought, well crap. Then I realized that I was putting pressure on the mag. Hands off and they ran flawlessly. Feeding magazines is always a tedious job but two 25 rounders isn't so bad asfive 10 rounders. Besides making shotgun shells jump around at 25 yards is a blast,and not having to stop to change mags so often is a bonus.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I picked up 2 of the BX25's for my new Charger. First time around I had several issues and thought, well crap. Then I realized that I was putting pressure on the mag. Hands off and they ran flawlessly. Feeding magazines is always a tedious job but two 25 rounders isn't so bad asfive 10 rounders. Besides making shotgun shells jump around at 25 yards is a blast,and not having to stop to change mags so often is a bonus.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i have six BX-25s, two BX-15s, and 20 BX mags in couplers and another 12 in BX in tri-couplers - all work well... i did have a dual BX-25 that i gave to my range buddy that started being problematic, but a quick cleaning fixed it... i run my mags in a 10/22 TD, and three Charger TDs... no problems at all... just tonite was a club range shooting/meeting and ran 100 rounds (50 Aguila and 50 CCI SV) through 10 BX mags in couplers... only one round (Aguila) hung - a first round and most likely my fault on mag insertion... oh, and i also have a 110-round ATI drum... it only works with non-waxed rounds like M22s - and it works great!

i do keep my mags clean and swab them after every use - i also break down my BX mags when i see a lot of gunk inside from waxed rounds

just my opinion

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've read before that a KIDD magazine plunger with upgraded spring was a fix for these issues. I installed the plunger and spring months ago before ever trying the larger magazines and my last range outing, I shot a few of the bx15s without issue.
That is the fix. I had this problem a couple of years ago and after trying everything it occurred that the BX25 was getting more and more wobbly. After looking it over good I figured the ruger stock magazine spring just was not holding the magazine steady. I looked around and found the magazine holder and spring from Timney for about $10. My BX25's have not had a problem since. I thought that ruger -who were not crazy about large mags- did not put a lot of thought into that part. At the time they designed that part there were no 25 round mags.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I called Ruger about it. They said mail it back and they will send a new one. Im going to try the Gorilla tape trick. To help it fit tighter. The Chootem ammo he got before the new panic set in. Academy or Cabala's i think he ordered it from. I like the tri-mag coupler too.
What is the Gorilla tape trick? Not had a problem with my BX-25...yet, but...just in case!:cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
If your loading your BX-25 by hand you are going to get jams. Use a MagLula specifically designed by the Israelis for all Ruger BX magazines.
The MagLula locks on the mag and has release tab on it to remove when finished loading. I don't know of any mag loader that does that. When loading it depresses each round in the mag exactly the same way. Impossible to do that by hand.
If you buy the loader and UN loader kit it's a plus.
To test your mags, load a BX-25 by hand then use the MagLula unloader to unload it. You will see that sometimes a round will flip and there is your jam.
Now use the MagLula loader and then use the un loader and you will see a big difference.

The 110 round, GSG mag works great but you must follow the directions. One big No No are WAXED bullets. You must also follow the maintenance program with it. They also recommend that before you insert the mag the bolt should be locked back.

By NOT locking back the bolt before inserting any mag in a 10/22 you are putting unnecessary wear on both.
I have never had jams out of my BX25s and I load them by hand. As long as you make sure the rounds are seated to the rear of the mag, you wont have issues.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The tape fix makes the box part of the mag wider. The 25's are not as wide as the 10's. My loader came today. I cleaned the mag good too. Tomorrow morning were taking the dogs for a hike in the woods. I like to plink at stuff while were out there . I'll take the 10/22 and the 25 mag and give it a try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 10 22 about six weeks ago. I had jamming issues with the standard 10 round magazines. Being small, they are also a bit hard to handle. I bought the BX-25 and it works perfectly. The dealer told me that the "secret" is to slap it up against the palm of your hand after loading each 5 rounds. That keeps the bullets aligned inside the magazine properly. I have not had any jams since I started doing that. I also load it with 18 to 21 rounds. That seems not to put as much pressure on the spring as a full 25. and perhaps helps with jamming issues. Anyway, the BX-25 works perfectly under those conditions. I have several and have shot thousands of rounds without jamming. I also like the ease of handling the longer magazine.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Haven't had a problem with my BX 25...yet. Wellll...actually I did. The first time I took it out with my Son and Grandson, they shot up all my ammo. But...my new 10-22 was very well broken in!😉😄

21 - 38 of 38 Posts