Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my Remington 870 Express recently I took it to the skeet range and was just awful. I picked up the card of a certified instructor and decided to let him help me out.

I really think I made a LOT of progress! Some things, big things, I was doing really prevented me from being able to see the target in time. And I also think I tended to severely over-lead. But it was a really productive lesson and didn't cost that much. I anticipate I'll have more fun next time out breaking more birds.

I also learned that my gun doesn't fit me very well, and am going to add a pad to the butt to get more clearance between my thumb and my face. He had one and not only does the gun fit better with it, but when I brought it up to my face it much more easily had me set up looking straight down the rib.

One interesting ammo note, he had a few different types, and there was one kind, made in Spain I think he said, that would not let the 870 lock. I'd load it, push the pump forward and then I could bring it back and the full shell would eject. He said the rim was a touch thicker and was not a problem with the gun. It only happened on that ammo and happened every time on that ammo.

Oh, I also switched from a modified choke to a skeet choke, so I look forward to measuring my progress with all these mechanical and skill improvements in place!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Been on a skeet range before....dang those birds move awful fast compared to a poor boy trap thrower! And those olympic skket/trap---whoa now they are out of range in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The only problem with skeet is that is becomes quite addictive. It does turn you into a good, fast shooter. I started out with an 870 also. But mine was the 870TB trap gun. I now use a Red Label. More time to target when you don't have to pump. But I'm not as fast as I was years ago when I started, either. Excellent sport, enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh that red label is a thing of beauty. I love the looks of double barrels and over/unders, but they're so expensive. This one serves my purpose fine, and if I really get into it I can think about getting something else.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I shot skeet quite a bit years ago. My gun was an Rem 870 but back then (mid 60s) the Browning Superposed was the gun most favored by most of the better shooters at the club I shot at. A friend of mine had ones in 20ga ,28ga and 410 bore. That 28ga Superposed was one of the best guns I ever tried but out of my price range at the time. Also saw quite a few Win Model 12s used in both trap and skeet. That was 40+ yrs ago so you can see I'm damned near a geezer.:D
Baker

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the Winchester Model 12 and if I could find one in anything other than full choke I'd buy one. It was my Dad's favorite shotgun. But I guess a lot of guys use them for ducks? Or something else far away. But I love an old, worn Model 12, I like 'em with only about 10% of the blue left on the receiver.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just saw an old Model 12 at the gunshop today with about 50% blue. Right up your alley. Priced right too! I would have bought it were it not for the Polychoke someone had stuck on the end.

·
Registered
842 Posts
COFFEE POT, way back when, I quit hunting and shooting for a few years and let my Dad have my 12 ga 870. Later run up on this 16 ga that had been chopped off. Checked on new barrels but wanted something shorter that the 28" available so I sent it to Polychoke and it came back 21" overall barrel length. It's been my hunting and house gun for about 25 yrs. In fact it's the only repeating shotgun I own now. Thought I might, but I've never had a problem with it being on the end of the barrel
Baker

·
Registered
191 Posts
Those Polychokes were quite popular way back when. A number of friends had them installed on their guns. Two of them lost one of the fingers from the inside of the choke. That kind of soured me on them as well as hearing that they didn't give consistent patterns. Personally, I've never even shot a gun with a Polychoke on it, so I don't have any personal experience with them. I'm just biased from my friends' experiences.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Eddie, like COFFEE POT said, skeet is addictive. As to the Polychoke, I'd never heard of the choke fingers coming off or being shot off a and my old gun patterns well but I did hear of a couple of Cutts compensaters shooting completely off. I had a 20 ga with a Cutts that wouldn't shoot worth a darn. I'm convinced that thing caused the hearing loss in my left ear. Didn't want to sell it to someone like that and finally raffled it off at work.:)
baker

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just don't like the looks of them, and I just HAVE to like the looks of the gun I'm shooting, for some reason. Shallow? Yup. But I am who I am!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
hate to say it but i've probably runned across more mdl 12's in pawn shops with cutts and polys on them than unaltered. Course that might also be why they trade hands more often.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Deputy, back in the days before screw in chokes, they were popular. We're talking some yrs back. A bit ugly but if you wanted a shorter barrel or special choke they were about the only option. I think maybe some, but don't know how many of the older barrels could be adapted to the screw in chokes of today.
Baker

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd take a longer barrel on a decent Model 12, if I could just find one with a modified choke or something other than full.

You know what else is cool? Those Model 12 trench guns or riot guns. Dang, that'd be a neat thing to have, huh?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts