Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now had my LCR 9mm to the range for the fifth time, and I want to report that I could not be happier with a gun.

I have gotten pretty good with it. In fact, I shoot it almost as well as I do my semi-automatic.

At 10 to 15 feet, I am getting 2 inch groupings at center mass practicing drawing from retention, allowed at my outdoor private range.

I am also getting very fast practicing reloading with the moon clips.

The recoil is quite manageable, although it is more then with my .38.

This, for me, has become the perfect pocket carry gun. I carry in a Mika pocket holster in cargo shorts, which I wear most of the year here in Florida, with an extra moon clip in my other pocket.

Could not be happier with this revolver.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
444 Posts
LProf - Good news - this wouldn't be the LCR's fault - but have you noticed any 9mm rounds jumping crimp? I don't have a 9mm DA revolver - but I've heard that 9mm rounds can/will jump crimp with lighter revolvers ...

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Good to hear you are getting good results with your LCR 9mm.

I've found mine to be very accurate and more easy to shoot accurately than my .38 sp LCR. Might be because of the added frame weight, might be because of the 9mm rounds.

In either case it's become a regular partner in my pocket, and I much prefer moon clips to speed loaders.

If there has been any crimp jump it's not occurred to the point of causing a malfunction, and some of what I've shot are reloads, which I usually don't crimp beyond what the seating die.

I also have an SP 101 and a S&W 986, which are both 9mm. They are much heavier than the LCR, but no significant crimp jump in either.

Great little gun! Enjoy yours.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LProf - Good news - this wouldn't be the LCR's fault - but have you noticed any 9mm rounds jumping crimp? I don't have a 9mm DA revolver - but I've heard that 9mm rounds can/will jump crimp with lighter revolvers ...
No, not one jump crimp through 250 rounds. And, I am looking for it to happen, but it has not happened yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I never leave home without my LCR 9. Carry it in a Mitch Rosen. No jump crimp encountered in 500 rounds but I do need to keep an eye on the crane release button pin working loose until I can get some loctite on it. Love that little revolver.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
My EDC and I love this little guy -- looks NIB after 2100+ rounds fired

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I'm in the midst of having a "9mm conversion" done on a GP100, but I'm also looking at these 9mm LCR's more and more........

·
Registered
198 Posts
What ammo did you find most accurate?

I've found 115gr shoots to sight at 7 yards, 124gr is 1/2 inch low, 147gr is 3/4 inch low.

Not really keen on the 147gr, too much muzzle flip, haven't tried anything lighter than 115 gr (Critical Duty or Critical Defense).

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I keep telling myself I don't need the LCR9 because I like my LCR357 so much, but you guys are really presenting some compelling reasons why I DO NEED ONE! Thanks for destroying my budget. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
I keep telling myself I don't need the LCR9 because I like my LCR357 so much, but you guys are really presenting some compelling reasons why I DO NEED ONE! Thanks for destroying my budget. :D
If you had the 9mm to start would you feel this way about wanting a .357mm instead ? Trying to help you here ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I've found 115gr shoots to sight at 7 yards, 124gr is 1/2 inch low, 147gr is 3/4 inch low.

Not really keen on the 147gr, too much muzzle flip, haven't tried anything lighter than 115 gr (Critical Duty or Critical Defense).
I try to shoot 115 gr. for practice ammo. It shoots accurately for me, and the recoil is less, which makes practicing more fun. Same for my self defense ammo.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Mine seems to like Hornady 115 Critical Defense the best. Expensive to practice with but since it's really my only hobby, who cares. If I don't have enough to take to the range, Magtech 115s Fmj fill the bill and shoots to point of aim.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
I'm in the midst of having a "9mm conversion" done on a GP100, but I'm also looking at these 9mm LCR's more and more........
I've always wanted to do this!

I can't understand why Ruger never offered it as an option or with a convertible cylinder as popular as pistol cartridge revolvers have become.

Don't want to steal this thread, but maybe you should start one with some before and after pics and who did the work.

I'd love to see how it turns out! :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts