Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and both performed very well.

Went to a range today to try the new shotgun. This isn't a place that has formal skeet or trap, but you buy clay targets and go to one of their two stations, load 'em up, let 'em fly and shoot 'em down. Thought it would be a perfect place for me to get reaquainted with the 870 I was so familiar with as a kid, and also a good place for Sandy to shoot a shotgun for the first time in a casual setting.

It was a lot of fun, and she really wants to go back! She did very well. I just got the 20 ga. but she was unsure of what to expect recoil-wise, never having done it before. So I just had her shoot it once so she'd get that out of the way. Not bad at all. Then we tried a clay, she missed the first one but nailed the second one and I'd guess about every other one after that.

I really like that 870 in 20 gauge. When I was shooting doubles, sometimes that second clay would get pretty far out there before I hit it. For this kind of shooting - the shotgun equivalent of plinking, I guess - I really don't think the 20 is much of a disadvantage at all.

Anyway, just a fun day at the range, it was nice to get a shotgun back in my hands. Not sure why I put it down for thirty years.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Shooting those clay pigeons is a fun thing to do EddieF. I'm glad your wife enjoys it too! the GF & I spend some time with our famlies & the shotguns in the same way.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Sounds like you had fun. Family shooting is great. My problem is staying ahead of Granny and the Grandkids shooting. They are getting too good. :D

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There were several family groups at the range yesterday, it was good to see. Makes me mad to think about the anti-gun people who think we're all (and try hard to make us appear as) hoodlums and criminals. They're probably sitting at church next to a whole family of fine people who can't wait till church is out so they can get to the range on a beautiful Sunday.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

There were several family groups at the range yesterday, it was good to see. Makes me mad to think about the anti-gun people who think we're all (and try hard to make us appear as) hoodlums and criminals. They're probably sitting at church next to a whole family of fine people who can't wait till church is out so they can get to the range on a beautiful Sunday.
+1:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts