Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally took the plunge and bought my first Ruger. 10/22 carbine, bushnell scope. Mainly for varmint control but I'm sure there will be a lot of target shooting, too. Central Florida shooting ranges? Go!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congratulations, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Now comes the fun part of shooting it, reading all the cool changes you can make to one, seeing examples of those changes and spending tons of money to make it exactly like you want it.
This little rifle has been around a long time, tons of people have enjoyed this gun since it came out. There are literally too many companies to count that make aftermarket parts for these rifles, so the sky is the limit on what you can build one into.
My wife and I have several, from stock to full on custom built, between us we probably shoot 2,500 to 3000 rounds a month and it is always a blast, regardless of which rifle we shoot on a given day.
Again, enjoy it and be safe.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
You will enjoy. At some point you will be looking for more varmits.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We shoot our 10/22 at an indoor pistol range in Manatee County. There is a really nice rifle range near Myakka but you need to purchase a membership. Kind of a haul from Ocala.You will love your new rifle. It is a neat little piece of Americana. Your in the great state of Florida so it shouldn't be to difficult to find a place to try her out.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Congratulations mate.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Congrats! Good choice.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Congratulations mate.
None of my business but will ask and if the answer is 'no comment' that is all ok and not offended in any way.

It get tossed around by many groups in the USA that Australia pretty much banned and confiscated all guns. In 1995 I was there to race a car at Lake Gardner and can not envision being that far into the outback and unarmed. Anything you might chose to share might be enlightening as to what the rel reality is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a LVT and love it. Gander Mountain has a nice indoor range ($$) . There is a free public range off 40 in the Ocala forest. Very busy on weekends, closed on Wednesdays for maintanence, but if you get out there during the week, not too busy. Although being so near hunting season...?
Cheers, enjoy your new Ruger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure you will enjoy it as we have ours. Which model did you get?

I got the carbine -- wood stock. I expect this will be an item that gets passed down as some of the other guns I have were passed down to me, so I wanted something that has a classic look and feel.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I got the carbine -- wood stock. I expect this will be an item that gets passed down as some of the other guns I have were passed down to me, so I wanted something that has a classic look and feel.
Bought a sporter for the same reason mine for a while and for my grand daughter then. My daughter the kids mom thinks dresses and pretty things and I think coveralls hiking boots shooting glasses and gloves to handle lines on a sailboat. There is a big difference between a yawl and schooner and she will know them. Am I the only grand father agonizing over picking the best shot gun for a 16 year old girl. So far Mossberg the winner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congrats! My wife and I shoot a lot...shotguns, ARs, pistols occasionally. But probably the most fun we have is just plinking with our 10/22s.

Unfortunately, you've also discovered a money pit. There's always a new gadget I want for my rifle. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
congrats on the buy

deeayejay,

Congrats on the purchase. The first 10/22 we purchased was back in the mid-1970's. We literally shot the crap out of it and it is still going strong today. They are very reliable for about any purchase. What size scope did you get?

thanks

kscoyotee62

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have fun with the new rifle. Just do not read anything about modifications or you will disappear down the rabbit hole. I started off with a Hogue stock, scope rail and scope; but that led to the auto bolt release, the extended mag release, the VQ trigger, hammer, sear, disconnect and bolt buffer. Now I have a ProMag target stock on the way. It is a great little rifle that can be modded without breaking the bank. Enjoy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought a Ruger 10/22 Carbine last April. I just upgraded to a Green Mountain Sporter Barrel. Excellent accuracy. Maybe I'll do the trigger next.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts