1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Not familiar with the issues, but the delivery method is exceptional.
I love the ad for the tiny Jeep Renegade on the right.....:D

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
Yeah well, if he goes I'll likely stop watching it. I've no axe to grind either way but I can't see it being the same show without him. It's like 3 frat boys getting in trouble all the time that makes it interesting. Jeremy is the worst of the bunch and I like to watch the other two when they get the best of him.

If it's a personal issue between Jeremy and a producer, I say the producer needs to go. There are plenty of producers out there that can take his place. However, if Jeremy finally crossed the line and has to go, it was a great freak show while it lasted.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's workplace violence but it's not your average workplace.
He's suspended already and made to pay for what he did. An apology to the producer should make it all good.
However, it seems to me he's already burned bridges at the BBC, reminds me of Charlie Sheen and Chuck Lorre.

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
Found the story:
Jeremy Clarkson 'punched producer and called him lazy Irish' - Telegraph

Can't help but to wonder...
Staged publicity stunt?
Has exaggeration set in around the story?
How much did the producer "participate"?
Was Jeremy drunk?
Why didn't the other presenters intervene?
Why didn't someone intervene... I mean they have tasers right?

If he went ape and punched the guy and it was bad as all that, they should fire him. I hate it for the show and the people whose livelihoods depend on it. Very immature and selfish of Jeremy but it wouldn't be the first immature and selfish thing he did.

As for him punching Piers Morgan, that I understand, more people should punch Piers.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the story:
Jeremy Clarkson 'punched producer and called him lazy Irish' - Telegraph

Can't help but to wonder...
Staged publicity stunt?
Has exaggeration set in around the story?
How much did the producer "participate"?
Was Jeremy drunk?
Why didn't the other presenters intervene?
Why didn't someone intervene... I mean they have tasers right?

If he went ape and punched the guy and it was bad as all that, they should fire him. I hate it for the show and the people whose livelihoods depend on it. Very immature and selfish of Jeremy but it wouldn't be the first immature and selfish thing he did.

As for him punching Piers Morgan, that I understand, more people should punch Piers.
It appears that it's all true (no one has refuted the story yet) that Clarkson punched the producer, all because they didn't have steak for dinner :confused:

I agree with you on, "more people should punch Piers." :D

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
One of the few shows that I watch. Hopefully it will work out. For those of you that don't watch the show, the Stlg never talks.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the few shows that I watch. Hopefully it will work out. For those of you that don't watch the show, the Stlg never talks.
;)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well if he did what they say he did then I guess he needs to be canned. Some shows can survive such a thing but not this show. Case in point the American Top Gear SUCKED and it was because the three "presenters" didn't have the chemistry to play off each other well.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well if he did what they say he did then I guess he needs to be canned. Some shows can survive such a thing but not this show. Case in point the American Top Gear SUCKED and it was because the three "presenters" didn't have the chemistry to play off each other well.
The US hosts try too much to be funny.

Clarkson is like the unofficial leader of the group. If they replaced him, might as well replace May and Hammond.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I used to love TG but the last season I watched kinda sucked. The tribute to British motors and manufacturing was pretty good though. They had a good format and tried to make it better in the later series but only made it worse, in my opinion anyway. Clarkson is a wally but he made it work.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Clarkson can drive, even being a phallus sometimes:D The producer is probably a bed wetting union liberal :D:D S%ut can him is what I say:p

thewelshm

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i'm about as liberal as you can get (at least here on RFnet :) ), but i don't think what he allegedly did warrants permanent dismissal. and there will really be no show without him. the other two can hold up their ends, but they can't make a third wheel turn into clarkson.

yes, he can be a jackass, and push limits, but if he hasn't been dismissed for the questionable things he's said and done publicly, then i don't think this private altercation is grounds.

as others have said, the show could easily go on without that particular producer, but not likely without clarkson.

i, too, love that they act like bright adolescents who are just overly enthusiastic, obnoxious, and loving an adventure....in the way that adolescents do. isn't that why we love the show? they get to act like we'd often like to, and drive fantastic vehicles around a track and all over the world. top gear is an absolute classic, and genius example of living vicariously.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'm about as liberal as you can get (at least here on RFnet :) ), but i don't think what he allegedly did warrants permanent dismissal. and there will really be no show without him. the other two can hold up their ends, but they can't make a third wheel turn into clarkson.

yes, he can be a jackass, and push limits, but if he hasn't been dismissed for the questionable things he's said and done publicly, then i don't think this private altercation is grounds.

as others have said, the show could easily go on without that particular producer, but not likely without clarkson.

i, too, love that they act like bright adolescents who are just overly enthusiastic, obnoxious, and loving an adventure....in the way that adolescents do. isn't that why we love the show? they get to act like we'd often like to, and drive fantastic vehicles around a track and all over the world. top gear is an absolute classic, and genius example of living vicariously.
they remind me of when i was in one of my first jobs, in a glass factory. someone said when we were disposing off defective glass, "isn't it fun to be breaking glass without getting into trouble?"

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
russell crowe offers a fairly reasonably perspective on the feelings that might have been at play in that situation, which were sort of my hunch (but not really knowing, not being in the biz) from the outset-- you have a stated agreement about something happening, you've been working your tail off for who-knows-how-long a day, and maybe a number of days in a row, and you were told unequivocally there'd be a hot meal at the end of shooting. i can honestly see how nerves would be pretty frayed at that point, without it being a pampered-spoiled-celeb situation:

"Speaking about the recent controversy surrounding the Top Gear host, Crowe said: “I love watching Jeremy on TV, I think he has a wonderful sensibility.

“Having been in this business for such a long time, I’ve done some pretty heavy days, I did a 24 hour work day with Michael Mann one time… so I can understand on the bones of what I know - because I don’t really know the situation - if he’s been head down, a*se up working and he’s requested one little thing which is to be able to eat at the end of the day then I can understand why he’d get upset.” "

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
russell crowe offers a fairly reasonably perspective on the feelings that might have been at play in that situation, which were sort of my hunch (but not really knowing, not being in the biz) from the outset-- you have a stated agreement about something happening, you've been working your tail off for who-knows-how-long a day, and maybe a number of days in a row, and you were told unequivocally there'd be a hot meal at the end of shooting. i can honestly see how nerves would be pretty frayed at that point, without it being a pampered-spoiled-celeb situation:

"Speaking about the recent controversy surrounding the Top Gear host, Crowe said: “I love watching Jeremy on TV, I think he has a wonderful sensibility.

“Having been in this business for such a long time, I’ve done some pretty heavy days, I did a 24 hour work day with Michael Mann one time… so I can understand on the bones of what I know - because I don’t really know the situation - if he’s been head down, a*se up working and he’s requested one little thing which is to be able to eat at the end of the day then I can understand why he’d get upset.” "
That's an interesting take. Like I said earlier, it's workplace violence but it's a different kind of "workplace."

1 - 20 of 31 Posts