Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday here around 12.15pm we were experiencing a pretty hard core thunder storm when wham we were hit by a series of Tornado's the biggest cutting a swathe through my local area around 2 kilometers from my home ....sadly three were killed and there were multiple injuries....crazy how you can be that close to hear and feel the power with no damage and a little ways down the road ....complete devastation.Whilst i know many of you folk in the US experience these monsters regulary they now seem to be becoming a regular seasonal event here as well with now two years running devastation and fatalities in the same area....global warming perhaps who knows but the expression "By the Grace of God" springs to mind.
Auckland tornado: Three men killed on building site named - National - NZ Herald News
http://youtu.be/qBnEAVzdmIk
Photo taken locally yesterday....The power of nature.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Yesterday here around 12.15pm we were experiencing a pretty hard core thunder storm when wham we were hit by a series of Tornado's the biggest cutting a swathe through my local area around 2 kilometers from my home ....sadly three were killed and there were multiple injuries....crazy how you can be that close to hear and feel the power with no damage and a little ways down the road ....complete devastation.Whilst i know many of you folk in the US experience these monsters regulary they now seem to be becoming a regular seasonal event here as well with now two years running devastation and fatalities in the same area....global warming perhaps who knows but the expression "By the Grace of God" springs to mind.
Auckland tornado: Three men killed on building site named - National - NZ Herald News
Glad you came through unscathed. Being from Kansas I can sympathize with you.

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Hey Kiwi, that's a little too close for comfort.
I am thankfull that it missed you.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families in your area that sustained damage and lost loved ones.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My condolences to those who lost loved ones. Glad to hear that you made it through alright though. It's a really spooky thing to be that close to such a monstrous force of nature. There was a tornado that tore through my hometown a few years ago, much devastation and it missed the house that I grew up in by only a couple hundred yards.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here in Fl, we get a lot of tornadoes, but for whatever reason, they are smaller and dont cause as much damage as in other parts of the US. But we do keep a sharp eye on the weather during hurricane season. I know AU gets tropical storms, I would guess NZ does too.

Glad you are ok!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I live in North Texas at the lower edge of Tornado Alley and experience these every year. Luckily most are pretty small and are only breifly on the ground but its absolutely amazing the amount of devestation they can wreck in just seconds if your at "ground zero". If your in its path...there really is no time to run or no place to really hide! All you can do is hunker down and pray for the best.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's good that you were spared damage or injury and sometimes it helps you deal with the event by assisting those who weren't so lucky.

I've been through several tornadoes and have seen many of them. I lived in Illinois, Missouri Oklahoma and now, Texas which is in the main pathway for the storms. The results of an F5 monster strike can only be believed by actually seeing it. Every plant, tree and blade of grass is smashed or gone and the path of damage can be as much as a mile wide!

My advice to you is to play the odds. If a storm is coming, take shelter where you are and don't run. I've seen too many folks who ran and ended up right in the path of the storm. In Oklahoma, a mother piled her son in a pickup truck and took off to avoid the twister. She drove right into the funnel path, a roof blew off of a house, landed on the truck and her son was killed. The storms are fickle, unpredictable and the odds are that you will be missed. If you move, you change the odds and increase the chance that you will be harmed.

I've seen those storms approach at 50-60 miles per hour. You may only have seconds to cover up but that beats roaming around blindly in a vehicle.

Flash

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.