Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Torque Wrench shopping. What's your favorite torque wrench, why, about how much, and where to find one like it? Same goes for your thoughts about what's the best torque wrench for precision, consistency (i.e., staying calibrated accurately), longevity...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well truthfully I have always used Snap-on torque wrenches (but only for work). They have always stayed calibrated unless of course you drop them. I personally don't own any and I really don't think that other than mechanics that people would pay to calibrate torque wrenches (I could be wrong).

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Beam-type torque wrenches are the most reliable for staying in calibration since the pointer is always visible and any off-set from zero is obvious. they are also the least costly for a given level of quality. Their disadvantage is that you have to be able to see the torque scale while using them so they aren't convenient for working where the fastener is out of sight.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I have a couple craftsman torque wrenches, click type. I have one in in/lbs and one in ft/lbs for my gun uses. No complaints, but I have not had them calibrated either. Got them cause they were available for purchase locally. They work, I keep them stored at 0. What are you looking at spending and what torque range are you looking for? The cost and the range is very wide, so a little more info might be useful.

·
Registered
776 Posts
An Eastman I bought a couple years back is both my favorite and my best. Up until I got this one I'd only owned and used beam wrenchs.... for a good 50 years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for. For gun stuff (inch lbs) I like the Wheeler Fat wrench. For car stuff I use Craftsman and Snap-on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't know why I can't edit my above post...?? Anyway I was going to add that it also depends on it's intended use.

If you just going to be torquing lug nuts or something else that "close enough" is good enough then something from Harbor Freight is going to work just fine. If you're building an engine and torquing heads then you probably want something a little higher quality.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for. For gun stuff (inch lbs) I like the Wheeler Fat wrench. For car stuff I use Craftsman and Snap-on.
Wheeler F.A.T. Wrench is my choice for scope mounts and other gunsmithing tasks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Snap On or Mac. Both have lifetime warranties.

Depends on how critical you need to be for what you want to spend. If "Close enough" works, cheap will get you by.

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
This except for the Snap-On part. I don't dispute Snap-On is the cream of the crop but IMO the difference in quality doesn't justify the price. If I used one everyday for a living I might have a different opinion but as a weekend garage mechanic and part time tractor/ATV/mower mechanic Snap-On tools aren't worth my money. YMMV.

The Wheeler Fat wrench works great for my minor gunsmithing projects and scope mounting. I have the digital version. About $65 IIRC.

·
Registered
776 Posts
For light work I use torque bits. Fairly religious about it for bicycle work. Rarely need to/bother with for guns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts