Ruger Forum banner

Torque Wrench - what's your favorite and what's your best?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  ltxi 
#1 ·
Torque Wrench shopping. What's your favorite torque wrench, why, about how much, and where to find one like it? Same goes for your thoughts about what's the best torque wrench for precision, consistency (i.e., staying calibrated accurately), longevity...

#2 ·
Well truthfully I have always used Snap-on torque wrenches (but only for work). They have always stayed calibrated unless of course you drop them. I personally don't own any and I really don't think that other than mechanics that people would pay to calibrate torque wrenches (I could be wrong).

#3 ·
Beam-type torque wrenches are the most reliable for staying in calibration since the pointer is always visible and any off-set from zero is obvious. they are also the least costly for a given level of quality. Their disadvantage is that you have to be able to see the torque scale while using them so they aren't convenient for working where the fastener is out of sight.

#4 ·
I have a couple craftsman torque wrenches, click type. I have one in in/lbs and one in ft/lbs for my gun uses. No complaints, but I have not had them calibrated either. Got them cause they were available for purchase locally. They work, I keep them stored at 0. What are you looking at spending and what torque range are you looking for? The cost and the range is very wide, so a little more info might be useful.

#7 ·
Don't know why I can't edit my above post...?? Anyway I was going to add that it also depends on it's intended use.

If you just going to be torquing lug nuts or something else that "close enough" is good enough then something from Harbor Freight is going to work just fine. If you're building an engine and torquing heads then you probably want something a little higher quality.

#10 ·
Snap On or Mac. Both have lifetime warranties.

Depends on how critical you need to be for what you want to spend. If "Close enough" works, cheap will get you by.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.