Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey guys, Total noob here to the forum. Not to forums in general though. I am a moderator on a few other forums in regards to Ranger and F150 trucks. Joined up because I am picking up a new Ruger pistol here in about a month.

I have never been much into guns, always fishing on this end. My wife and I just had our first child and that changes things. Picked up a Mossberg Maverick Security edition 12 ga for the house last Christmas. Well this year I had the urge to CCW, so I started looking at pistols. I looked at and held and shot a few and narrowed it down to one of two guns. Technically the same gun, just different calibers. I will be picking one of the SRc series up. Most likely the SR9C as that is the one I shot and LOVED it. very comfortable, loved the trigger, recoil was nice and not harsh. has a safety and many other feaures I was looking for.

So I joined up here to get some info and such, hoping to learn alot!

Here is my first ever target from shooting the SR9C. Keep in mind, i have never shot a handgun other than one or two shots when I was younger.

the top left shots were my first shots as I was anticipating the recoil, didnt know what to expect having never really shot. Then I started getting used to it and actually hitting the target. Will be shooting some more so I can make sure I pass the CCW class

I went ahead and ordered a holster for it. I researched and read reviews and had it narrowed down to three holsters--the Remora, the Versacarry, and the Crossbreed Supertuck. But after reading on another forum.

All had some downfalls I didnt like. The Remora didnt have a clip. Although its super tacky and clings on, I still want a clip. The Versacarry did not have a front trigger cover. For someone very new to CCW, I wanted that. SOOOO I bought the following leather holster on ebay for $17 and it had everything I was looking for. It could be IWB, OWB put on a belt and covered the trigger. If I dont like it, im only out of $17 instead of 25-65 the other holsters went for. The seller had 100% feedback so it must be good lol

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.

Just a suggestion since you are new to handguns - acquire the gun first and then determine what holster and accessories you may need. Once you have the gun you can try different carry positions to determine what might work best for you and your wardrobe. If you decide to carry inside your waistband then you should take a look at the Old Faithful Holster Kits. Very good quality parts like the Crossbreed but a little less pricey because you assemble it.

Also, nice to see that you are actually shooting the guns you are considering prior to purchasing them.

Old Faithful Holsters | Leather Kydex Hybrid Holsters and Holster Kits

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
Dixie ... Welcome from SW Ohio ... Glad to have you aboard.

Improvement with your groups will only come with time and practicing proper stance, hold, sight picture, breathing, trigger control & follow through. To that point, you might also want to consider acquiring an inexpensive .22 pistol to substantially reduce your ammo cost during your initial learning curve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
appreciate the warm welcome. Yeah Im the type of buyer that does extensive research on forums and such before I make a purchase on anything. If I dont like the holster, im only out of $17, and I can sell it for probably $10 at a yard sale lol.

Definitely will work on grouping, going later this week to shoot some more as my buddy is letting me shoot his SR9c and borrow it for the CCW class.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
How far away where you from your target? As with most skills, shooting takes practice and lots of it.
Welcome to the forum from West Virginia. I used to be a member of a/the ranger forum when I had a Ranger.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Welcome from central Kansas. Some good advice above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How far away where you from your target? As with most skills, shooting takes practice and lots of it.
Welcome to the forum from West Virginia. I used to be a member of a/the ranger forum when I had a Ranger.
Id say about 15-20 feet. Which forum? Im a mod on FRF (fordrangerforum.com) and F150-Forum.com, and am active on all the other ones though I dont have a Ranger anymore. Now a F150 driver

old Ranger

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Phoenix! Both the SR9c and the SR40c are fine weapons. I own both of them. Just a suggestion, but from looking at your target, I think I would encourage you to go with the SR9c. The recoil is less than the SR40c. The .40 caliber is generally a nasty round to shoot but somehow Ruger (and Beretta 96fs) have been able to tame it. Every other .40 cal pistol I've shot, I didn't care for because it can cause some hard to control muzzel flip. But the 9mm round, especially in the SR9c, is a very tame round that is still potent for self defense.

Regarding your holster, if you're like most of us, you'll wind up with a collection of holsters until you find one you lilke the best. The one you have selected is known as a Yaqui style, which is a very small holster that lets the bottom extend through it. The downside to this style of holster is that you can bang your gun on seatbelts and such and damage the finish of your gun if you wear it OWB.

My favorite holster for both my SR9c and SR40c is this Winthrop holster I ordered on Amazon.com.
Amazon.com: Ruger Sr9-c OWB w/o bodyshield Holster Black: Sports & Outdoors

It's an OWB belt-slide holster that covers the tip of the gun, it secures the gun by it's shape, insuring it doesn't come out unless you intend for it to come out aka retention, it has a standard 15 degree FBI cant (meaning the grip is rotated 15 degrees forward) which makes access much easier and I find more comfortable. It's a well made leather holster which I find very comfortable and it tucks in tight to the body to prevent anyone knowing I'm carrying aka printing. But there are literally hundreds of holsters made to fit every carry need or preference.

Enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Id say about 15-20 feet
Not bad at all. 7 yds is considered by many to be the maximum distance you will probably have to use a gun in a self defense situation, usually much closer.

I second what BuckJM53 said in his post - Get an inexpensive .22 cal pistol, something like a a basic MK III or a SR22 and do a lot of practicing with that. A box of 550 rds of Federal bulk costs about $20 at Wally World and the benefits of practice with the much less expensive .22 will directly translate to your 9MM accuracy.
I shoot .45, .40, and 9mm and even with the least expensive 9mm it can get very pricey, so I spend most of my time shooting with my .22 cal pistols and rifles.
You can pay for a .22 pistol in a short amount of time with the ammo cost savings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the forum from Phoenix! Both the SR9c and the SR40c are fine weapons. I own both of them. Just a suggestion, but from looking at your target, I think I would encourage you to go with the SR9c. The recoil is less than the SR40c. The .40 caliber is generally a nasty round to shoot but somehow Ruger (and Beretta 96fs) have been able to tame it. Every other .40 cal pistol I've shot, I didn't care for because it can cause some hard to control muzzel flip. But the 9mm round, especially in the SR9c, is a very tame round that is still potent for self defense.

Regarding your holster, if you're like most of us, you'll wind up with a collection of holsters until you find one you lilke the best. The one you have selected is known as a Yaqui style, which is a very small holster that lets the bottom extend through it. The downside to this style of holster is that you can bang your gun on seatbelts and such and damage the finish of your gun if you wear it OWB.

My favorite holster for both my SR9c and SR40c is this Winthrop holster I ordered on Amazon.com.
Amazon.com: Ruger Sr9-c OWB w/o bodyshield Holster Black: Sports & Outdoors

It's an OWB belt-slide holster that covers the tip of the gun, it secures the gun by it's shape, insuring it doesn't come out unless you intend for it to come out aka retention, it has a standard 15 degree FBI cant (meaning the grip is rotated 15 degrees forward) which makes access much easier and I find more comfortable. It's a well made leather holster which I find very comfortable and it tucks in tight to the body to prevent anyone knowing I'm carrying aka printing. But there are literally hundreds of holsters made to fit every carry need or preference.

Enjoy the forum!
Thanks! Ill check it out, I will more than likely carry IWB with it right behind my right hip. But yeah you are right, this probably wont be my only holster I buy

Not bad at all. 7 yds is considered by many to be the maximum distance you will probably have to use a gun in a self defense situation, usually much closer.

I second what BuckJM53 said in his post - Get an inexpensive .22 cal pistol, something like a a basic MK III or a SR22 and do a lot of practicing with that. A box of 550 rds of Federal bulk costs about $20 at Wally World and the benefits of practice with the much less expensive .22 will directly translate to your 9MM accuracy.
I shoot .45, .40, and 9mm and even with the least expensive 9mm it can get very pricey, so I spend most of my time shooting with my .22 cal pistols and rifles.
You can pay for a .22 pistol in a short amount of time with the ammo cost savings.
great advice!

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
howdy and welcome from middle Dixie.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma!

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Welcome from the Central Coast of California.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.