Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remember correctly I shouldn't touch primers with my hands. How do you all handle yours? Latex gloves? Tweezers?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
I try to get them all into the flip-pan right out of the package. Of course a few dropped ones do happen. I have sinned on several occasions and (with clean hands), picked them up from the back side,(firing-pin contact side). I've also used plastic tweezers, but I don't get anal about it. Just try to keep oily finger contact to a minimum.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Bountyhunter, Although It's best not to have oil or grease on your hands since it's plain danged messy and "might" cause problems, I've been touching and picking up primers with my fingers every since I've been reloading. Only problems I've had was a few that weren't seated all the way in the early years and occasionally getting one in backward when using the Lee Auto prime and not checking before loading. It's a heckuva lot harder to kill a primer today than some think:)
Baker

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I still handle them one at a time when it comes to priming a case with the lee turret, challenger press, and lee loader kits. Just my hands--no gloves or anything like that.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If I remember correctly I shouldn't touch primers with my hands. How do you all handle yours? Latex gloves? Tweezers?

Thanks. :)
When I first started reloading in my late teens (several decades ago) I had quite a bit of trouble with my primers. Lots of duds. Somewhere in the scheme of things someone told me I shouldn't pick them up with my fingers. I've always had oily somewhat acidic skin so it made sense to me. I started using a pair of cheep metal tweezers and or flip trays. And my incidence of dud primers has dropped to virtually none.

For me that proved the point. I suppose different folks with different body makeups may not have any problems. But I don't touch them with my bare fingers.

Joe

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I feel much better knowing I won't ruin a primer if I have to touch it real quick. I'll just be careful and see what happens. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,477 Posts
I use a bench mounted primer seating system that feeds primers through a primer tube. I pick up each primer and put them in the feed tube until I get the number I plan on using. I use my (clean no grease or oil) bare hands and haven't had issues with duds.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I dump the primers in a plastic peanut jar lid and pick each one out individually to put in the primer seat of the Lee turret. Only one failure to fire so far. The primer fired off dandy, it was the lack of powder in the case that caused the bullet to jam in the forcing cone. Easily taken care with a 1/4 in aluminum dowel and brass hammer. Using CCI LPP's in the .45 Colt and Win WSP for the .357.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
reloading sure isn't hard to do and your book wil answer most qurestions. flip trays are a must if anyone reloads. Your kit should have come with one at least they use too.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Flip trays are effective and the right way to handle primers. I spend a bunch of time and money trying to achieve super accurate and consistent.22-250 rounds. The flip tray is a prudent part of that effort.

SD

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
I try my best to never touch primers. I dump primers from the package into my primer flipper then load them in a primer tube. Unless one escapes, I never have to touch them with my fingers.

Here's the lowdown .... there are people that secrete large amounts of "body oil" through their fingers and others that hardly secrete at all. Further, the same person could secrete one day and not the next based on his diet. When body oil contacts the inside cup of a primer, it could dud it ... but likely it will not. To be safe (squibs are dangerous), try to avoid touching primers. You may get by with no problems for years then one day you will pick up a primer and cause a dud.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I'll go with better safe than sorry and try to never touch them. I'll keep a pair of tweezers close by in case I have to.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If the reloading book says its ok to do it then I do it if says don't do it then I don't do it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I touch every single primer I seat into a case. I seat them using the ram on my Lyman press, placing each one individually into the primer seat cup. I keep my hands clean and dry, and I've NEVER had a primer failure in over 10s of thousands of rounds.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I use the hand primers & Dillon 550 & Square Deal. Sometimes if I drop a primer I don't worry too much about picking them up. I just don't handle them more than I have to. Frank

·
Registered
128 Posts
I prime all my case by hand and pickup each primer and put it in tool since 1968.
In pic you will see the priming tool I use for this gun and I reload
at the range, on the bench, outside and NEVER had a miss fire in 20 plus
years of schutzen shooting.. storing is the trick and I buy over 10,000 a yr
this gun is a breach seater, I take a cast bullet put in gun .060 ahead of case, thats
what that other tool doze, plus I clean gun on bench too and no miss or hang fires
someone is going say your lucky and so is the other 15 guy I shoot with also

·
Registered
89 Posts
Been Loading for 30 yrs and never had a dud primer and always use my fingers! Maybe I'm lucky! ;)

I'll also add I never had one accidently pop either! :) I know I just cursed myself didn't I;)

·
Banned
700 Posts
Individual chemistry's obviously vary.
I learned consistency from some very old school reloaders.
I try to keep everything procedure related as close to one way as humanly possible.
So far so good!

SD

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Bountyhunter, Although It's best not to have oil or grease on your hands since it's plain danged messy and "might" cause problems, I've been touching and picking up primers with my fingers every since I've been reloading. Only problems I've had was a few that weren't seated all the way in the early years and occasionally getting one in backward when using the Lee Auto prime and not checking before loading. It's a heckuva lot harder to kill a primer today than some think:)
Baker
+1 Been doing the same thing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.