Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got home from work last night my Wife had some bad news for me.

My Father In Law's Cousin's body was found in a gravel pit. It appears that her Ex-Husband and two Sons had murdered her by beating her to death. All three and a farmhand have been arrested.

I never met the victim, and my wife recalls only seeing her once. This really effected my Wife, and that's what makes the night tough. I spent a long time talking with her about evil, and how bad things can happen to good people.

I'm just glad that I have a supportive family and a few close friends with all the evil people I deal with. This just reinforces something I learned a long time ago, "There is no safe place between birth and your coffin." I'll be "safe" when I'm dead, in the meantime I'll be prepared for evil.

Biker

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the story from my Wife's Hometown Newspaper:

quote:
COLIN JAMES
December 03, 2007 10:00pm
GLENYS Heyward's eldest son conspired with his younger brother and father to kill her because of a combination of "greed and hatred", the Mt Gambier Magistrates Court heard yesterday.

There were emotional scenes in a packed courtroom as Thomas Heyward, 24, was refused bail to return to a Mt Schank dairy farm after his lawyer unsuccessfully argued he was the only person capable of managing the property.
Dressed in a dark suit and pale blue open-necked business shirt, he began sobbing while his girlfriend and other friends burst into tears as he was remanded in custody until early next year.

Major Crime detectives who arrested him last Friday listened as Magistrate Bill Morris heard he allegedly helped to organise the murder of Ms Heyward, 53, before destroying evidence.

Police prosecutor Brevet Sergeant Caroline Batten told Mr Morris Ms Heyward was "in the care of the Victorian coroner" after her body was found on a western Victorian farm last Friday.

The discovery of human remains in a gravel septic pit behind a dilapidated farmhouse led to the arrest of Thomas Heyward at Mt Schank while his younger brother, Matthew Heyward, 20, was arrested at Tailem Bend.

He was remanded in custody ahead of a bail application in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Friday.

Their father, Neil Heyward, 56, last night was recovering in the Mt Gambier District Hospital after sustaining self-inflicted injuries on Sunday during a six-hour siege at Beachport. He also was remanded in custody during a two-minute bedside hearing late yesterday.

Sgt Batten earlier told Mr Morris that police believed the trio conspired with a 26-year-old farmhand, who had been employed by Neil Heyward, to kill Ms Heyward in Mt Gambier on Monday, July 23.

The farmhand, whose identity has been suppressed, had been "assisting police with their inquiries" into her disappearance from a house rented by Matthew Heyward at 23 Ferrers St.

"The victim was last seen at Matthew Heyward's home address on the evening of her disappearance," Sgt Batten said. "The defendant (Thomas Heyward) has provided police with several statements which are inconsistent with the known facts.

"It is alleged he was complicit in the murder in that he played an active role in arranging the victim's presence at a pre-arranged location. It is alleged he then assisted with the destruction and removal of evidence."

Sgt Batten said Ms Heyward was involved in a $2 million property settlement dispute with her estranged de facto husband when she was killed on Monday, July 23.

Her relationship with Thomas Heyward had "deterioriated" after he returned from studying at university in Adelaide to help her manage the Mt Schank dairy farm for his father.

"It is alleged the murder was pre-planned, pre-meditated and executed by the four men who are in custody including this defendant (Thomas Heyward)," she said.

"It was a particularly callous and brutal murder which was borne not only out of a situation of greed . . . but also, with respect to this defendant, some degree of hatred that he had towards his mother.

"This brings emotion to the murder as well as the greed in respect to the property settlement dispute (between Ms Heyward and Neil Heyward)."

Sgt Batten opposed a bail application by Thomas Heyward's lawyer, Bill Degaris, saying he "posed a very real flight risk".

Investigations by Major Crime and Mt Gambier CIB detectives into Ms Heyward's alleged murder also were continuing.

"There are witnesses who have been reluctant to come forward and provide evidence while members of the Heyward family were still at large," said Sgt Batten.

Mr Degaris rejected the suggestion his client hated his mother, saying he had unsuccessfully tried to contact her through her lawyer several times since she disappeared four months ago.

"He wants to, if possible, attend his mother's funeral and help prepare the proper internment of her remains," he said.

Mr Degaris said it was important for Thomas Heyward to be granted bail because attempts to find a temporary manager for the Mt Schank dairy farm had been unsuccessful. "Thomas has no plans to abscond," he said.

"His life is here. His girlfriend is here. His girlfriend's family are here. They have been helping to run the farm since his arrest on Friday."

Mr Degaris said Thomas Heyward had consistently denied any involvement with the alleged murder of his mother.

"We intend to come back and defend the charges. In the meantime, he would run the dairy farm so that its assets don't depreciate."

Mr Morris said he found it "very difficult to accept" that Thomas Heyward was "the only person in this region capable of running a dairy farm".

He remanded him in custody until early next year, prompting his girlfriend and several friends to begin crying as the detectives who arrested him last Friday returned to the nearby Mt Gambier Police Station.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Biker, That's some pretty tough news for most people to handle. Far too many folks don't really believe it can happen in our own families or to those we know. Bad thing is and it's scary, that it can happen to anyone at any time nowadays.
Baker

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Yes sir,
anywhere, anytime

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
you read about it and see it sometimes on 48 hours but you really never think you will ever have it happen to you or someone you know. Seems we always think that all is going to run smooth in our lives but that is not always the case. The world has gotten meanerwent I first started with the prison there was only 16 units in the whole state. Now there is over 150 units and we are start building, and we have private prisons now something I never thought that I would ever see.
I am hoping that your wife will be ok, I know you will be doing your best for her.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Biker, I hope your wife is ok. You can't trust people, today. My wife has always thought that I was paranoid, for no reason. Now, she is starting to understand. My best wishes are sent to you both.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Know just what she is going through. A couple of scum bags killed my wifes cousin and left her husband for dead. It brought great sorrow to our whole family. That was the point when me and my wife made up our minds to carry full time all the time. We are going to have some say so about how we die if we are ever put in that position. I hope your wife does well and the rest of the family too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts