Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just glanced at a gp100 with a 4" barrel in a case at a pawn shop and thought it was an sp101. Asked to hold it and thought... Wow... Why does this fit my hand so much better than my own.:: my pinkie has a pace to rest!" I had bought my sp101 for 330 and they were asking 500 on the gp... Ended up selling my sp for 450 and the pawn shop took 400 for the gp! Got paid $50 for the switch!

Threw on some custom grip inserts and some trivium night sights... Now it is my go to firearm!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446737453.789486.jpg

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Good move.
I went shopping for an SP101.
I bought my 4" SS GP100 because it fit my hand better than the SP101.

·
Super Moderator
22,126 Posts
The only thing better than a GP is a GP & an SP. ;)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Same as you, I went the SP to GP route. With my big paws, I'd rub my knuckles raw on the backside of the trigger guard on the SP. Never looked back!

Attachments

·
Banned
365 Posts
When I went out to buy a new .357 revolver, the first one in my paws was the GP100 with the 4.2" barrel. I tried the SP and LCR, along with other brands, but that GP100 called out to me. Since then, it has become the best, most comfortable .357 magnum revolver I have owned, after adding "old style" grips and a red dot sight. It even beats my old Dan Wesson .357 magnum for trigger feel.

Enjoy what I feel is the best .357 magnum on the market today.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Congratulations on a great trade.

BTW, if you ever get an urge to get an SP again, you can put a set of Hogue grips on it and get that extra grip length needed for your pinkie finger.

I have big hands and could not get used to the stock Ruger grip on my SP101. So, I ordered 2 sets of Hogues for it. Got both the Rosewood Laminate with striped cap and finger grooves, and the rubber monogrip. As you can see in the attached photo, they are both longer than stock grips. The striped cap on the Rosewood Laminate even gives just a little more pinkie finger room that the rubber monogrip, however, both work fine for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I did what Bob1943 did, throw a Hogue on the SP. Also, Hogue for a few dollars extra will make a grip to fit your hand as will Herrett's. I also have the GP and like that, too. Due to leverage the action on the GP is lighter than the SP.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I guess that I need to invest in a set of the Hogue grips I really like the wood Hogue's the best. Yes the trigger guard does bite my knuckles when I shoot with the stock rubber grips but not enough to trade my SP101 in for a GP100! My K frame S&W Mod. 66 is my larger frame .357. I like the SP101 line enough to want one in a .327 FM!!!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
GP is a great gun. It's my backup CCW.

I too put Hogues on it. They completely changed the comfort and control level when I shoot.

If you have the gun to SHOOT, the try a pair of Hogues.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I guess my question on the Hogues for my SP101 will if help with the trigger guard bite on the fingers do these grips swing back enough?? I see the story's on the Grips from Thailand on Ebay and such but the Hogues where they are made here in the US just seems like if there is a problem with them it would be easier to get things done. The regular Rubber or Nylon made Hogues are nice and not to expensive but my thoughts are really on the more expensive wooden grips I guess. Thoughts or suggestions appreciated thx!!!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Congratulations on a great trade.

BTW, if you ever get an urge to get an SP again, you can put a set of Hogue grips on it and get that extra grip length needed for your pinkie finger.

I have big hands and could not get used to the stock Ruger grip on my SP101. So, I ordered 2 sets of Hogues for it. Got both the Rosewood Laminate with striped cap and finger grooves, and the rubber monogrip. As you can see in the attached photo, they are both longer than stock grips. The striped cap on the Rosewood Laminate even gives just a little more pinkie finger room that the rubber monogrip, however, both work fine for me.
I know it's subjective, but how much difference in felt recoil between the wood and rubber Hogue grips?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
gqucool, I no longer own my sp101, but when I did I had both the Hogue rubber grips and also a pair of Hogue smooth wood (tulipwood) grips. I much preferred the woods, they were smooth and didn't hang up on clothing and they just felt better to me. However, the Hogue rubber grips were still much better than the stock Ruger grips.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I know it's subjective, but how much difference in felt recoil between the wood and rubber Hogue grips?
I have not shot it with the wood grips yet, only fired it with the rubber monogrip. I bought the wood grips for display purposes. I keep the rubber grip on it when on home defense duty. This is the .38SP only model, very manageable recoil. I will try to get it to the range with the wood grips to see if there is any noticeable felt recoil difference.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I guess my question on the Hogues for my SP101 will if help with the trigger guard bite on the fingers do these grips swing back enough?? I see the story's on the Grips from Thailand on Ebay and such but the Hogues where they are made here in the US just seems like if there is a problem with them it would be easier to get things done. The regular Rubber or Nylon made Hogues are nice and not to expensive but my thoughts are really on the more expensive wooden grips I guess. Thoughts or suggestions appreciated thx!!!
Speaking from experience, changing grips on the SP can exacerbate, rather than cure, a clearance issue with the trigger guard. The key is the circumference of the grip - the greater the circumference the narrower the space becomes between the grip and backside of the trigger guard. It caused my SP to go from uncomfortable to painful. :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts