Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been that happy with the Bearcat. Today I traded it for a Ruger Single Six blues .22. I am told this is a three-screw version. Hope to shoot it soon.

Corps Commander NGV
I think you will be happy with your new 3-screw SS. They are easy to shoot well. My old roommate had a good collection of handguns ranging from .38's, 9mm's, and a .44mag. Of all his guns he shot the single six the best(by a wide margin). I always told him if anyone breaks into our apartment...grab your single six!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
could this be a magnum

After acquiring the single six at the gun show I looked up the serial number. There was no match for it under the category I thought it should but there was a match under the magnum category ...396xxx.
Dropped some .22 lr in the cylinder. There seems to be a bigger, deeper recess for the round then I recall with my bearcat. I am not familiar with the 22 magnum and have no ammo to test functionality. Wonder if a .22 stud cylinder is available if I got stuck with a mag.

Registered
Not familiar with a 3 screw, but on the NM Convertibles the Mag. cylinders are non-fluted and are labelled as such to avoid confusion...

Registered
If it is in fact a three-screw Old Model, the left side of the frame will tell the tale.

If the frame is marked RUGER SINGLE-SIX WIN .22 RF MAG CAL it is one of the "magnum only" versions and the chambers will be a sloppy fit on .22LR ammo.

If the frame is marked RUGER .22 CAL SINGLE-SIX it can be either a .22LR-only model or a Convertible model which could be wearing either a .22LR cylinder or a .22 Magnum cylinder.

Either way if the cylinder will NOT accept a .22 Magnum cartridge it is a .22LR cylinder.

Ruger's serial numbering system left something to be desired in those days.

Good find. Enjoy.

:)

Registered
The safest and surest way to tell if you have a 22 mag cylinder is to grab a round of 22 mag and try to insert it in the cylinder. If it goes, you have a 22 mag cylinder. If it does not, you have a 22 LR cylinder. Anything else is a guess, since Ruger used a variety of cylinder configurations on both the 22 mag and 22 LR cylinders over the years. Then, too, on an older gun, there's always a chance someone changed cylinders at some point.

If you have a 22 mag cylinder, yes, a 22 LR can fit in it, albeit, loosely. The gun won't blow up or anything that drastic if you shoot the 22 LR in a 22 mag cylinder, but very common for the 22 LR cases to split when you do and there is a possibility of gases and debris in your face. Bad idea. Accuracy will always be poor, anyway.

If you have a 22 mag cylinder and want to shoot 22 LR, just buy a 22 LR cylinder.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
traded again

Went back to the show. Found some 22 mag. They fit the 3-screw cylinder. So I traded again with the same guy. Got a new, in the box, New Single Six Stainless with both cylinders. Cost me a little extra. The guy who sold it to me was actually glad to get the mag back. Said he expected to be able to make a little extra being a mag. For me, the stainless was really what I was wanting anyway.
An early Christmas present.
Manufacture date on the new gun was June 2015.

Registered
You'll love your new shooter. I have had a Single Six "Convertible" for many years, actually it was the first pistol I ever bought. It's an easy gun to shoot well. Love putting the mag cylinder in and shooting mag rounds. Makes a nice fireball. Enjoy your new toy.

Registered
You will love it. I bought one in 77 and over the years it has digested many bricks of 22 and quite a few 22 Mag, but they have always been more expensive. It is above a Colt 22/22Mag I aquired this year that was made in 66. The Mag cylinders are in both revolvers by the way.

Know what you are saying about Bearcats. I enjoy shooting mine but my hands are kind of large for them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got the single six to the range today. Very pleasant revolver to shoot. Very accurate.
Of course no issues. None were expected.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts