Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a ton of threads on Trail Boss and was led to believe that it's not for heavy bullets. 255 grn in 45 Colt does great with it but everyone shied away from using it with heavy 300gr. bullets.
Then I received my Lymans 4th edition from Santa. I was just leafing through it and stopped on the 45 Colt data. Low and behold...they have data for 270 and 300 gr. cast bullets with Trail Boss. Did I miss some threads where it's exceptable now?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Is it not listed in any of the books or online loading data for Trailboss?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I wouldn't use RF.net as any kind of authority on what's "exceptable" now (acceptable) for powder applications. Too much of the discussion here is narrowly focused to venture too far down the road less traveled by.

The reason I would expect you don't see a lot of 300grn 45colt TB loads is simply that TB loads are generally designed to be low recoil, low power - and 300grn loads generally are not so.

Based on the data for 45colt and 454C and figuring for case capacity, I wouldn't hesitate to stoke 5.0grn of TB under a 300grn pill in a 45colt case and start working from there in a Ruger mid or large frame.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Did I miss some threads where it's acceptable now?
I've fed TB to about a dz different cartridges since it became available, and have used it to "burn up" surplus bullets in rounds from the .223 to my .35 Whelen's, and handgun loads in .9mm, .38, .357, and .44M.

As long as you don't exceed 100% load density, it's pretty much safe.

Exceptions might be very heavy bullets in a Trap Door .45/70, or an old BP rifle in marginal condition. The historical data from IMR/Hodgdon pretty much says the same.

Then, there's safe and there's suitable. With the cost of .300gr bullets, (any 300gr bullet), I have to wonder why I'd bother.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Grandpabear has Trail Boss??? Really, where did you fine it??? Just kidin'!!! I personally have not loaded anything this heavy. I have used Trail Boss (in the past) for my Marlin 1894 Cowboy 45LC loads in 255 grain bullets but nothing heavier. Trail Boss in my humble opinion is good for the lighter Cowboy Action Loads. Wish I could find some Trail Boss again at a reasonable price, hopefully it's still being made down under.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I've read opinions from amateur reloaders about Trail Boss not being appropriate for the heavier bullet weights, but nothing from the folks who publish reloading manuals or the powder manufacturer. The only limitation I can see is that the velocity might be pretty low.

I checked the Hodgdon reloading data website and they don't list bullet weights higher than 250 gr with Trail Boss; at their "maximum load" for the 250 grain cast bullet, the velocity was a hair over 700 fps - at the starting load, it was right about 600 fps.

I can't see any reason - apart from wondering if the bullet will leave the barrel - why you can't use Trail Boss with 300 gr bullets, but I also can't see a compelling reason to use Trail Boss for the heavier bullets, either.

Jim

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I've used T/B in my 45 Colt with 200 grain LRNFP bullets...gentle loads...very accurate and just fun to shoot...I asked a buddy about heavier loads (he messes with the heavy stuff a lot) and Trail Boss ..he said he'd been told it was not the best idea...don't know why.

One thing with Trail Boss...because it's been touted for low power, lo recoil loads..some folks think it's a slow burning powder..it's not...it's very fast burning...someone asked it it's still being sold...I recently got some from Recobs...they seem to have it now and then...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I've read opinions from amateur reloaders about Trail Boss not being appropriate for the heavier bullet weights, but nothing from the folks who publish reloading manuals or the powder manufacturer. The only limitation I can see is that the velocity might be pretty low.
I think Varminterror has the correct answer.

There is really nothing about heavy bullets in Hodgdon's information, just load density. Less than 100% is that number, and 60% on the low end. I suspect the 60% is to keep shooters from sticking a bullet in a barrel. I have dropped charges to 75% a few times, and I start seeing a lot of blow by on most brass. Might be fine with the really thin cases, Hornet, .38-40, etc.

For the most part, with the cost of 300gr bullets, even cast, TB would seem a poor way to get your money's worth. And jacketed 300gr bullets, an even less suitable way to economize.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I loaded a lot with TrailBoss when my wife first started shooting her J-frame S&W; she wanted to shoot it a lot, but couldn't (initially) tolerate the recoil without developing a flinch. I loaded some .38 Spl 140 grain cast bullets on top of a tiny bit of TB and it launched those bullets down range slowly enough that I could see them (and spot the impact) if I stood behind her.

I did some back of the envelope calculations and I think that the maximum load of TB under a 300 grain bullet would give a muzzle velocity of between 500 and 700 fps. I also imagine that the impact point would be significantly lower than the point of aim. Still, if you want to try it, why not?

Jim

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
And to confuse things even more, they dropped the IMR branding on Trailboss and switched it to Hodgdon Trailboss.
That's not confusing at all.............Trailboss is Trailboss, regardless of the name on the jug selling it.

I will agree with everyone else here. Can you shoot 300 grainers with Trailboss?...........sure, but why?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I’ve used it with the 45-270-SAA (~283 grains). A 7.0 grain charge produced 782 fps from a 6” Blackhawk…

I’ve used it in 11 different cartridges with mixed results. I have always used the 70% rule that can be found in the link below…

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Good-luck…BCB

^^^ Yes . . . this. ^^^

When TB first came out, I contacted IMR about loads for the .45 Colt. They basically told me the info shown in the link as being just fine for all straight-wall handgun cases. This has worked well for me.

JMHO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts