Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of 255LSW over 6.0gr/1.3cc Lee dipper.The only loads I read about are 5.8 Max. I use the dippers. providing the powder fits in the case I don't see a reason to worry about 6.0 in a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley. I am new at reloading and the Trail Boss looks good to me.
Thanks
Keith

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Is that 5.8 max from a reliable source in a book? Or someones notes off the net? It makes a difference.
Don't know a thing about trail boss powder. I like the dippers also but i don't use them for a max load unless i can verify the charge on scales. Do you have the complete set of dippers? What pressures does the 5.8 load generate?
I think there are too many possible variables to affect pressure when you go red line and are working with just dippers and no scale.
I guess i just play it safe by staying with the book but by staying with the book i havn't got into trouble.
And i get to start all over when i buy another pound of the same powder but it is from a different lot#.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deputy125
I think I'll be fine as long as it fits in case and I think it will. I am going to buy some Sat and load them up. This stuff is suposed to be a case filling low pressure powder for lead. I am looking for something that would be very hard to do a double load with and this stuff should be it. I think the 5.8 is the load safe for Colt strength revolbers. The RB45 won't be stressed.
Thanks
Keith

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Be sure to give us a shooting report. i am going to read up on trail boss a bit and get educated.

·
Registered
197 Posts
knorris you need to make sure that the load you want to use is in a reliable book as deputy says. And if it is a max load then you need to start lower. A max load in a book doesn't mean every gun can use it. And as far as trail boss being a case filling powder, that is somewhat wrong. It occupies more space than other powders to prevent double charging but that doesn't mean you can fill the case with it.

I smell trouble here.[}:)]

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,118 Posts
I have to chime in with shwrdr and deputy125, you're flirting with danger. First, buy a scale. Even a cheapie is way better than dippers. You will find dippers aren't very accurate and don't drop exactly what the Lee charts indicate.

Trail boss is indeed designed for high load density but don't let that fool you. It's burn rate (grain for grain) is nearly identical to Bullseye, which is one of the fastest powders on the market. You can easily over charge a 45 Colt case. IMR charts show a max charge of 5.8 gr for a 250 gr LRNFT bullet at 12,700 psi. Considering 14,000 psi is the max pressure for a 45 Colt, an extra .2 grains will no doubt increase pressure even more. Besides, with dippers and a slightly heavier bullet, you don't have a clue what the chamber pressure will be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will take the advice of all here and let someone else be the test pilot for increased loads with this new powder. I will also get scales. Do most scales come with a test weight to verify the accuracy?
Thanks
Keith

·
Registered
23 Posts
Keith, you know you are making a smart move. There's some good advice here, good handloaders seldom use max loads. They use "custom loads" that are better suited for what purpose they are used for, than what manufacturers can reasonably supply. Maxx Load ;)

·
17,118 Posts
knorris948, The only scales that come with calibration weights are digital electronic scales. That's because the weights are needed to calibrate them. They start at about $100. Balance beam scales are calibrated at the factory and are all quite accurate. You can spend as little as $20 for a Lee or as much as $125 for the fancy RCBS models. The more you spend, the more features you get (max weight capacity, dampening, metal construction, etc) however the $20 Lee is just as accurate as the more expensive units but limited to 100 grains.

I use my scales to weigh powder charges, shot charges, and bullets. As such, I need a scale that will go up to 500 grains. I bought a RCBS 505 many years ago and am very happy with it. They run about $70+. Check http://www.midwayusa.com They sell several different brands in the full price spectrum.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Keith, go to www.imrpowder.com and you should be able to download their catalog for trail boss powder. I have their cowboy data catalog and for 230gr. lrnfp it says start charge 5.5gr. =695fps-9100psi max.charge 6.5gr.=802fps- 12,400psi
As the professor said it has the burn rate of bullseye so start low and work up. I would not trust a dipper whith this powder.
Nice clean burning powder. I like it but hard to find around here. I've been using universal alot lately and compared to unique is alot cleaner burning.
Look at Lees anniversary kit it has about everything you need to get started. For cast bullets I use the lyman or speer manuals or powder mfg. downloads. Good luck and have fun. BE SAFE
Eric

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guys, Just sharing below what IMR replied.
"That is 2 tenths over our maximum load shown for the 250 to 255 grain bullet. But, we have found with Trail Boss that as long as you stay with lead bullets and do not compress the powder that you can generally work up a safe load. I recommend a maximum load of 75% of the available case space after taking into account where the base of the bullet will be when it is seated."

Dave Campbell
Hodgdon/ IMR/ Winchester

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
knorris948, The only scales that come with calibration weights are digital electronic scales.

Iowegan, That is not entirely a true statement--I have used a RCBS 10-10 scale for approx 28 years and mine has a factory supplied calibration weight with it.....

·
17,118 Posts
Makdaddy, That weight you got with the 1010 is not a calibration weight. It is a "poise" weight that is hooked onto the balance beam to increase the weight capacity. Without the weight, you basically have a 505 scale with 510 grain capacity. Adding the weight adds 500 grains to the total making it a 1010 grain capacity. See: https://shop.rcbs.com/downloads/ins...w.rcbs.com+Model_10-10_Scale_Instructions.pdf I used to have a 1010 myself. A great scale with all the bells and whistles.

No doubt, there probably are some high end scales that do come with calibration weights. You can also buy a set from RCBS for about $25 for the small set (60.5 grains) or $40 for the large set (510.5 grains.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You know what-- you are absolutely right. Don't know where my mind was at on that one-- I definitely stand corrected.....:D

Gosh what a brain F$#T that was on my part......[xx(][:0]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did try the 1.3cc/6.0gr Trail Boss in Ruger Bisley. It was perfect. I had much better groups with this load than the Magtech cowboy or previous reloads using Accurate No7. I am going to get the Lee Anniversary Kit to improve my reloading enjoyment. I really don't intend on trying any other powders for 45 Colt in the immediate future.
BTW I enjoy this 7-1/2 Bisley very much. I have been a 45 Colt Auto fan for 35 years prior.
Thanks
Keith

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.