Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran 150 rnds 6.0 and 255 Lead SWC. Results were again very impressive. There is about a 2.5 inch hole shot out of my cardboard backing. There are many in the hand size at 25 yds. Shoots high at 100 but not much. Also bought one of the RCBS hand priming tools. It is great. The hard cast lead is barely defomed after pulling it out of railroad ties @ 100yds. I had no idea hard cast was so hard.
Keith

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Knorris, I'm just starting to play with Trail Boss & wondered if anyone has gone beyond the 5.8gr max that the data lists. I'm not wanting to get crazy, but would like about 850fps & 6gr chrono's 750fps for me. Haven't been able to find any burn rate charts with Trail Boss listed. I really do like the way it bulks up in the .45 Colt case precluding any double charges. Anyone else with Trail Boss experience chime in I'd like to hear your results too. Thanks Frank

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hodgdon shows data for Trail Boss for the .357 Mag at 20,400 CUP. It should be safe then, to go up to 20,400 CUP in the .45 Colt case using Trail Boss. In a Ruger that is no problem.(don't try it in other guns, we are in the Ruger/Contender only range here) That pressure should be able to give you your 850 FPS and probably a little more. Work up slow.

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/handgun/trailboss-feb2005.php

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
looks like trail boss fits the bill on the 44' and 45's

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm going out this weekend to try some trail boss & 231 myself,
going to see how it preforms as well. i'll post when i get back.
SL.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My understanding is, as long as you are not compressing Trail Boss, you can stuff the cartridge. So, you can take a case that has been fired drop a bullet into it, figure out how to mark where the base of the bullet is, and fill the case to that depth, and then wiehg that charge. Les

·
Registered
197 Posts
Violator22, I don't remember the exact formula, maybe it's on Hodgdon's site, BUT what you said will result in an overcharge, and then........................[}:)]

·
Registered
53 Posts
I saw that, if you are shooting a Colt or a New Vaquero, you need to reduce the charge by to about 70% of empty space, I have done it in my Redhawk and SRH, but I'm not saying it is safe for everyone. Actually if I need power thats why I use Unique and 2400. I hardly use my TB any more unless it is plinking loads for my daughter to shoot my Vaquero. And the they are minimum loads with 240 gr RN bullets. Les

·
Registered
320 Posts
Would have to be done very carefully.
Last year when I was shooting with Frank V,this was the result.
T.B. 5.8gr/250gr 45 Colt.1873 Cattleman,4 3/4".
All in FPS:
My Uberti guess,it didn't like T.B.,or the bullet too much.
Think it might be possible.Watch out for the pressure signs.
Had a can of old 2400.
Used 255gr copper plated,16.5gr 2400:
All in FPS
I felt this load was good.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Fella's please be cautious about going over what the manuals say is maximum for powder charges. They have thousands of dollars invested in loading equipment & pressure testing exuipment & trained lab technitions. They don't want to underate their product,but they are cautious on max.loads & I'm sure lawyers play a part in this.If a powder won't safely give you the velocity you want explore another powder that does give you the velocity you want.I'm not trying to scare anyone, but let's not wreck any guns either. Frank

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree with frank v. , i just ran some trail boss thru my new vaquero , 255 gr. lswc backed with 7.2 gr of tb not a problem . no signs of pressure, i'm not recommending it at all. i did my research knowing the new vaquero would handle it.just stay away from ruger only loads with this gun. i prefer 6.8 unique or 231 JMHO.
SL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.