Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am interested in using trail boss powder in a few cartridges but was wondering if any of you out there could recommend a good manual that has it listed. have a few older manuals but it is about time to update. Am thinking about the new hornaday or maybe the sierra. Any help would be greatful.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Go on IMR powder's web site they have all the load data listed there for free no need to purchase a manual.

I load Trail Boss all the time in my Ruger Single actions...the IMR (Hodgdon) web site is good but there are a ton of other references for using TrailBoss..I'll put a few of the links I've referenced...I won' t offer "my loads" as your mileage may vary...it's great powder.
opos

http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/warning.asp

http://rugerforum.net/reloading/27860-trail-boss-7.html

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-220900.html

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=37

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
One of my favorite powders. There is lots of data in the above "Trail Boss?" thread. I did quite a bit of testing with it as did several other contributors to that thread.

The new Hornady loading manual has some TB loads as well as the latest Speer manual. I prefer the 'hard copy' myself. Good double check of the on-line manufactures data (which I never trust 'one' source) .

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Am interested in using trail boss powder in a few cartridges
Trail Boss is quite a lot more flexible than I thought it would be, and I have used it for practice loads, break-in loads, and low noise varmint loads.

In my CZ527/.223, 8gr/40gr Sierra HP bullets are sub MOA out to 100yds, and perform in between a .22LR and .22 WMR for drop, noise is also in between both.
My 77 MKII shoots the 60gr Sierra HP in the same accuracy class ans speed with 14gr. 16gr in my 7-08 with a 70gr Hornady SX, 19gr in my .280, same bullet. 8gr in my .30-30 with a Speer 110gr HP,And so on up to my Whelens.

For break in loads, I load to appx 90% with bullets I'm phasing out. The advantage here is the number of shots you can put down range without shooter fatigue, barrel heat, and rate of fire. 10 rounds through my .280 with a 175gr Hornady SP, at a hunting rate of fire, puts out about as much heat as three rounds of full power loads. Accuracy improvements with this approach are incremental. and you can measure the improvement at 50 round intervals, and see it break in.

Loads with extruded bullets in .38/.357/.44M are a no brainer, and they shoot real well with minimal leading. The Cowboy bullets from Hornady are great, and the bulk bullets from Remington I get through Precision Reloading are real bargain loads. I load these to hit 800fps from my guns.

Trail Boss is good stuff.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
am thinking of using it for a 35 Remington in a contender to help cut down on reciol. Am currentle using it for 38-40, 44-40, and 32h&r. Am real happy with the results. Keep the info flow ing though folks, Its all real good stuff.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
am thinking of using it for a 35 Remington in a contender to help cut down on reciol. Am currentle using it for 38-40, 44-40, and 32h&r. Am real happy with the results. Keep the info flow ing though folks, Its all real good stuff.
Forgot my .35 Remington :)

Try 8gr with a 180gr Remington .357 HP, or a Penn 180gr Cast TC. You will need to use a .38/.357 carbide sizer to keep the bullets from being to loose. I flare the mouth of the case to get bullets to seat without damaging the case. These loads are good to 50yds. Lighter bullets at 100% loading density shoot flatter, and I've had reasonable results from 125-140gr Remington bulk bullets, but they also lose steam pretty fast.

·
Registered
188 Posts
45 Colt, 38 S&W Special 22 Hornet with cast lead bullets and soon 45-70 Gov.

Had single digit SD numbers over a Chrony with the 45 Colt.

Probably get flamed but, Richard Lee's Second Edition Revised Modern Reloading has TrailBoss data, plus pressure to cast bullet BNH charts so you can talior cast bullets to your specific load.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I started using trail boss for .357 lead bullets. I found it to be very smokey and dirty.
Perhaps I am doing g something wrong.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I started using trail boss for .357 lead bullets. I found it to be very smokey and dirty. Perhaps I am doing g something wrong.
Actually, probably not.

There are several commercial formulations that do a great job at lubrication, but are smoky and greasy as the devil.

Powders won't make a lick of difference.

I use TB with all sorts of loads. It's very clean burning.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Ah, so the smoke and dirty cartridges are caused by my cleaning and lubricants?
I wouldn't think your cleaning stuff would make any difference at all. I was referring to the lube on the surface of the bullet, and in the grooves.

I blamed the powders for the smoke, flakes and goo on several occasions, and had to recant when I found the same charge with a jacketed bullet of equal weight, left no residue, at all. Stuff like Unique will leave a few flakes at the low end, but is very clean as pressures ramp up. W231 under some commercial cast bullets leaves all sorts of crud, but is recognized by many for it's clean burning properties with jacketed bullets.

Bullet lubes for lead bullets are the culprit for most of the smoke, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts