Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a state the prohibits open carry and will be traveling to NC which is an open carry state. Will I be within the law to open carry there even though I am not a resident?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yes you will be legal to OC. Our right to OC comes from Kerner V State, the ruling makes no distinction based on residency, it is your right.

NOW there are some places you cannot carry whether open, or concealed. Like court houses, police stations, federal buildings. You also cannot carry in a restaurant that sells, and serves alcohol, unless you have a CHP, or equivalent from another state. But there is a loophole that if you get permission from the owner, or manager on duty you can OC.

It is illegal to CC, and consume alcohol, no restrictions for OC, unless you are using your permit to enter a alcohol restaurant. If you are using your permit then you have to follow permit rules. I always ask permission even though I don't drink.

I also suggest you search, and look into the NC government site on carry rules. Don't just take my word, research the law yourself. If you don't find them I will look for them if you shoot me a PM.

I also suggest you visit OCDO, opencarry.org and visit the North Carolina sub forum, no cost to join. Most of us have a lot of experience in NC OC.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Instead of asking the "Internet Lawyers" don't you just check out the AG's Office for that state and get the correct info?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Instead of asking the "Internet Lawyers" don't you just check out the AG's Office for that state and get the correct info?
Because the internet lawyers are so astute that seeking others sources is superfluous. :p

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent information! Thank you all. I will bookmark the pages for future reference.

·
Registered
392 Posts
2A and all that, blah, blah, I get that.
I still have a question about why would somebody; a guest, a tourist, going to another state would want to open carry? got a real pretty gun you want to show off? 5 1/2" Colt SSA? engraved?
sorry, guess I just don't understand OC anymore than I understand straight pipes on a Hogly-Davis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.