Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Took my new Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum to the range today.

I had no prior experience with shooting .44 caliber and wasn't sure what to expect.

I started with .44 Special's. (240 gr.FMJ / 950 fps). It took me a couple of cylinders to sight it in. (And conquer my anticipatory squeeze flinch that I've developed in my dotage years.) I found it very pleasant to shoot. Fun and quite accurate when I did my part. I shot several 18 round targets.

I use NRA B-3, 50 foot targets. I was shooting two-hand hold, offhand, at 30 feet.

Then, I removed the stock grips and slipped on a pair of Herrett's Target Grips. They gave me a better grip and "feel" but didn't really improve my scores much.

Next, I tried a couple cylinders of .44 Magnum rounds. (240 gr. FMJ, 1400 fps.) WOW! Holy Sh**! They turned that little 3 ¾" barrel into a flame thrower. :D I was glad I had switched to the Herrett grips. This may be more fun, or at least as much fun, as shooting .45 Colt's. :D

All in all a great day. I also took my Single Ten and fired six 30 round targets at 70 feet. That's the maximum distance of the range I use. (I record all my scores and have weekly competitions against myself.):)

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Thanks for sharing the report - sounds like you had a great day at the range. I bet .44mag IS a hoot with that 3 1/2" barrel! .44mag certainly is a round with "authority." Always gets the sideways glances from the rest of the folks at the range....

·
Registered
721 Posts
Very nice. Great looking gun. Funny story. I hope to get a 44 sometime next year and I am looking for the same "experience" you had.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hadn't seen the 3.75" model before...very nice. And they make it in a Bisley frame. Oh baby!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
What a great looking SS SBH! I really like that barrel length and you just sold me on it's ability as a field gun. Great report.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Good for you!

Love that ST. I suspect yours shoots as good as mine. One of my all time favorite guns.

I remember the first time I shot a 44 (in a SBH, too). I felt relieved that I managed to keep my grip on the gun and wondered if maybe I had bitten off more than I could chew. Go slow and be ever vigilant about letting a flinch develop. I used to leave one chamber empty, spin the cylinder and note how steady I was when I dropped the hammer on that empty cylinder.

·
Registered
217 Posts
...I had no prior experience with shooting .44 caliber and wasn't sure what to expect....

Next, I tried a couple cylinders of .44 Magnum rounds. (240 gr. FMJ, 1400 fps.) WOW! Holy Sh**! They turned that little 3 ¾" barrel into a flame thrower. :D
A couple weeks ago I tried out my new Redhawk .44 Mag 4.2" using 240 gr JSP. I had the same reaction. I then backed down to 180 gr and found it quite manageable. For back country hiking I'll still carry the 240 gr and worry about recoil later.

Too bad I have to put them away for a while - just had rotator cuff repair surgery. But I still take them out and hold them. Almost as satisfying.

Like the pics! :)

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
That's sweet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Took my SBH talo out to the desert the other day. Got a box of magtec 240 gr through it. The recoil didn't bother me but my pinky does hurt from bruising being that I sling it under the butt cause I got nowhere else to put it.

That boom rolling up the backstop hills was something else though. Shooting partners 22 thing "blink" didn't quite match the Wow factor.

Gotta do something about the sights thou, Im going with the neon paints first before I start removing parts.

Like the grips,like the size of it,my first SBH I win.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Nice looking pair of single actions! .44 Mags are fun to shoot, figure out how to best manage recoil and you will want to shoot it more and more!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts