Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've just started doing a little research on options to improve the trigger on my new 10/22. i'll start by saying that i was very surprised at how "chincy" (not sure what this even means, but we used to describe cheaply made or poor materials as chincy) the whole trigger assembly feels inside the laminated mannlicher stock and how horrible the factory trigger is. i guess i hadn't handled any newer 10/22s. i've seen that there is a ruger BX trigger assembly for about $60.00. i've also seen there are machined housings with bx parts available on ebay for about $150.00 i think. I've also seen "trigger jobs" advertised on ebay by alexg166 for about $40. alexg166 also seems to sell full assemblys for around $150.00. i know there are many other options so was hoping you folks could help me find what's right for me. I'm looking to make my 10/22 a better shooter by improving the trigger. I'd really don't want to spend to much more than I already have on this gun so i'm hoping the bx assembly or the $40 alexg166 job is adequate. if they are not addequate please let me know as i will pursue other options. do the bx assembly move around in the stock like the one i just purchased. I'm seriously considering changing out the laminated mannlicher stock as well but that will most likely be the subject of another thread. thanks in advance for your thoughtful responses
bob:confused:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I suggest going to your LGS and try their BX triggers. They come boxed so that you can try out several. If you find one you like, buy it. If you don't like any of them, and they're all likely to feel different, try having one of folks mentioned on this forum do a "trigger job" for you. I recommend Brimstone because of how good it turned out.

A light, smooth pulling, clean breaking trigger makes the gun for me.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Best suggestion I can make is to decide what you're doing with the gun and choose according to that. See FAR too many think it's all about the $$$ and fashionable names. Buy what suits YOUR needs and compliments the rest of your firearm. Not everyone needs the $300 options nor is it warranted for all builds. Match it to the rest of your gun. Otherwise it's like putting big performance tires on your budget model Ford Fiesta. You can say you have ______ tires but performance is what matters (or should anyways)
I've tried a bunch of options from the $25 hammer change to full $250+ assemblies. From nearly 20 bulls using an array of components, I can say more $$$ doesn't always mean better product. If your comfortable doing the parts change yourself, I'd suggest simply trying a simple hammer swap. If you think you need a bit more, change the sear as well. If you're not comfortable with doing the work yourself, I'd suggest TT Shooter myself. Had him do a couple for me and the feel of those $70 re-works is smoother and nicer feeling than the $200 full VQ assembly.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Brimstone seems to be recommended a lot. My new 10/22 has a better trigger to begin with than my 35 year old one after shooting it all this time. Maybe you just got a bad one, but from what I hear Brimstone can fix it for you, at less than the cost of a BX from Ruger

·
Registered
89 Posts
Single stage trigger, get the Kidd trigger drop in parts. About $100.
Super clean, crisp trigger break at about 1.5 lbs. I've used this in several builds. For bench rest rifles, Kidd 2 stage, set @3oz per stage. $326 with the long mag release.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Brimstone Gunsmithing. You won't be disappointed, but I do have to say my new Charger is not bad at all & I can get 1" groups at 25 yards. After all the comments I read similar to yours, I was surprised how it is. I may tackle smoothing the parts myself or ship to Brimstone.:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just installed the BX trigger last night and what a difference! Smooth and crisp. The BX definitely closed my groups by a half inch. The original trigger was so stiff and raggedy that my shots were all over the place. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a Brimstone Tier 3 trigger job and it is well worth the money! I have a 20 year old laminated mannlicher stainless 10/22 that is well build. I'm sorry that you feel yours is chincy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Timney

I bought the timney trigger some time ago for my TD. I am reasonably happy with it. I paid I believe about $220.00 for it. THE ONLY PROBLEM for me is the magazine release. I am always hitting it and dropping the mag from the gun. I am thinking of shortening it a little bit,

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just put in a BX trigger. Out of pocket was about $21 after some gift cards I forgot I had. Have not been able to try it yet other than dry firing. There is a huge difference between it and the original as far as the feel of it. For my use of plinking and thinning the armadillo population in the woods, I think it will work just fine. I'm not someone who is interested in one-hole shots at 100 yds with my 10/22.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The BX may be better than the factory trigger, but to me and what I want in a trigger, the BX is just a slightly better grade of JUNK trigger. I have several 10/22s. Depending on needs of rifle, they have Kidd triggers or Brimstone. The latter being the best bang for the buck. Their $30 trigger job on your factory trigger group will be the best $30 you ever spent and will make you want to use a BX as a target, not a trigger...........LOL!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts