Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An odd puzzle to be sure and likely of little consequence but....
I bought a 5" Vaquero .44 magnum from a pawn shop several years ago but have just started shooting it more since a trigger job.
240 grain cast bullets with old fashioned lube, 20 grains of 2400 and Winchester large pistol primers. No obvious pressure signs and quite accurate to 15 to 25 yards.
My trigger finger (I'm right handed) gets much more soot than from other revolvers, such as 1987 vintage .44 Mag SBH, 1980s .357 BH and 6" .357 686, all with similar bullets. After shooting 50 rounds my right index finger is covered with a thick layer of soot.
I understand getting dirty on the weak hand, but the trigger finger?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Not sure why it would even make a difference, but if your ammo are reloads, are they crimped?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were handloads with a firm roll crimp as a separate operation.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,700 Posts
Shoot gun, wash hands, problem solved.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Shooting regular lubed cast bullets is just a grimy event. I just shoot and wash my hands as already mentioned. It comes with the territory. Some lubes seem dirtier than others but I don't let trivial details bother me.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Shoot gun, wash hands, problem solved.
:D :D :D

I have used multiple combinations of powders and lead bullets. Some lubes can be pretty "smoky", leaving black grease on the gun and shooting hands.
Powders often get the blame, for the mess lubes leave behind.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Shoot powder coated bullets , no dirty hands

1 - 9 of 9 Posts