Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the Balck Max SP 2.5 trigger with the over travel trigger and the silver trigger and magazine release from Hornet for my 10/22 takedown. I saw it on this forum and am wondering if I can get some feedback from anyone who may have used one? Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, Nobody?? Any ? Good , bad, ugly??

·
Registered
597 Posts
I will chime in even though I don't have that setup. Most everyone on here are either using KIDD, Volquartsen, or Timney trigger setups. I personally use a KIDD trigger setup where it reduces my trigger pull down to 1.75lbs. Nice, light, crisp, and smooth.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I use mostly stock triggers that have had some work done to them. I take them down to 2 lbs to 3 1/2 lbs depending on its use.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
No experience with Hornet stuff myself. Just never had a good vibe for them. From hearing/reading of others experiences with them, they're not horrible stuff. There's better available and if desired, you can do better with some of the DIY routes. For an all-in-one drop-in assembly, it's a decent enough route to take for an informal target shooter.
If it suits your needs and makes you happy, all's good. :) If it's only compared to the factory trigger, you'd be pretty happy.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I am learning a lot from you guys. Just sayin'

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No experience with Hornet stuff myself. Just never had a good vibe for them. From hearing/reading of others experiences with them, they're not horrible stuff. There's better available and if desired, you can do better with some of the DIY routes. For an all-in-one drop-in assembly, it's a decent enough route to take for an informal target shooter.
If it suits your needs and makes you happy, all's good. :) If it's only compared to the factory trigger, you'd be pretty happy.
That is exactly what I am looking for! I had this $150.00 gift card laying here and couldn't stand it! So I had been thinking I sure would like my TD trigger to be lighter and more crisp just for target shooting and I really haven't the time for muh DIY and this seemed perfect!! I will give a report when it come in and I get to shoot it. Thanks guys!

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
That is exactly what I am looking for! I had this $150.00 gift card laying here and couldn't stand it! So I had been thinking I sure would like my TD trigger to be lighter and more crisp just for target shooting and I really haven't the time for muh DIY and this seemed perfect!! I will give a report when it come in and I get to shoot it. Thanks guys!
Give us a range report when you get it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Pmoper, which stage did you have done at Brimstone? Also do you get back the housing you send in? I have an older rifle with the cast housing and would be bummed if I was returned a composite one.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Pmoper, which stage did you have done at Brimstone? Also do you get back the housing you send in? I have an older rifle with the cast housing and would be bummed if I was returned a composite one.
You didn't ask me but I'll answer your question anyway. He is very good at what he does and you will get back your exact trigger group that you sent in. I have had all three levels of service done to mine. A few were vintage trigger groups like yours and I wanted them to come back looking stock. He didn't do the bolt release work on them either as I wanted them to funtion the same with only a trigger pull improvement. Others were newer yet metal and I had them reworked with the bolt release. And I have two polymer groups that he did the full job on.

But beyond him doing exactly what you want done he does a great job on the triggers. No slack and the break is exactly where I wanted them. On brush rifles I had them taken down to 3 1/2 lbs and on target rifles they were taken down to just over 2 lbs.

On the bad side he is very busy and it took a month to get them back.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks for the info 303! I might send him a couple triggers this winter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I stayed with stock factory group...BUT...Had it reworked by Brimstone Gun smith...the guy (david) does outstanding work....got it back...its smooth and crisp....set at precisely 2 1/4 lbs as requested....

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I stayed with stock factory group...BUT...Had it reworked by Brimstone Gun smith...the guy (david) does outstanding work....got it back...its smooth and crisp....set at precisely 2 1/4 lbs as requested....
David is great at what he does and does what you ask him to do. Its amazing how accurate he can set the triggers. If you ask for 2 1/4 lbs that is what you get, not 2 1/3 lbs or not 2 1/2 lbs. All mine he has gotten down to within 1 oz on all triggers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts