Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have the BX trigger, works very good. Great price. it drops right in. took about 5 minutes. I'm sure there are some better ones out there for a very high price tag.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Get the Kidd Innovation drop in trigger group, takes about 10 minutes to install, cost is $105, it has no creep, super clean break at about 1.5 lbs and has an over travel adjustment. For my money the best single stage trigger on the market.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slugger I looking at the kid products, any thing else from the site that you would recommend

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I would recommend looking at the Brimstone website, he does a trigger job(lowest cost 1) for about $50 all in, and will do the auto-bolt release mod. also, if you desire.:cool:

If you get the tier 3 (basic) job, you will be very impressed & I have never heard a single person complain about it!

Here is a link:
http://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Some claim they like the Ruger BX trigger.........but personally I think it is just a little lighter version of the junk trigger that comes with the rifle. A little lighter pull, but the same grittiness, creep and overtravel of the factory one. Sending the factory unit to Brimstone is a good idea. Its a sweet trigger for the money. If the money is not a concern, put a Kidd in it..............As far as what else on the Kidd site is nice.........ALL of it............LOL!!!

Kidd barrel, trigger, bolt, charging handle, trigger retaining screw kit, takedown screw, buffer pin..........all loaded in a Boyd's stock. This rifle shoots GREAT. Rifle started as an old carbine I have had laying around for 15 years. It never got shot as it was, so got a few upgrades

·
Registered
159 Posts
Marxman, what kind of trigger pull do you want, and what is your budget? The answers to those questions will guide you to the correct answer. As to budget, figure $45 at the low end, to $200 at the high end. Around $80 will get you a great trigger.

MSP is correct. The Ruger BX trigger has a lighter pull, but all the other quality disadvantages of the standard trigger are still there.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
The BX trigger has been out for a few years now, so I wonder why Ruger hasn't incorporated it into the regular 10/22 line?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Brimstone

Go with Brimstone, for about $45(includes shipping)you get a great trigger and the auto bolt release mod. This is for his Tier 3(most basic), usually around a 2.5# pull weight. Check out his Tier 1 and 2 if you really want to get into it. I have had about 6 Tier 3 jobs, all great-both metal and plastic trigger groups.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Another vote for the Kidd trigger kit for the plastic trigger groups. Really upgrades the factory components and gets you a nice trigger to shoot.

The biggest improvement I've gotten in accuracy with a Charger or a 1022, though, is with a Kidd barrel. Not cheap, but a Kidd barrel will spoil you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
marxman,
All the Kidd products are great. We use the single stage drop in trigger groups in 2 of our rifles. I use the Kidd bolt buffer in all three rifles and the trigger housing pins to eliminate any movement of the trigger housing. Not all rifles need these pins, put your finger on the outside of the trigger guard and see if there is any movement in the trigger housing, if so, install the pins. If it doesn't move your fine as is. One of our rifles the pins would fall out of the action if you took it out of the stock, installing the pins stops that movement, providing a more accurate trigger pull.
North country gal is correct, changing to a Kidd barrel is the ticket for improved accuracy. Kidd and Volquartsen buy their barrels from Lothar/Walther in Germany, final machining is done in the US by each company. I chose to use all Kidd parts in my bench rest build and couldn't be happier with the results. The Kidd 2 Stage trigger is expensive and doesn't suit every ones build or budget requirements but it is awesome for the bench.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have a few of the Volquartsen Trigger Groups, drop in, in the Family 10/22s.
GREAT all feel perfect.
I have a Lyman Electronic Digital Trigger Pull Gauge.
The Volquartsen were all very consistent with 10 pulls in a row.
Each of the 3 were between 2 and 2 1/4 lbs.
But for each individual Volquartsen, the variation was about .1 lbs between each in a set of 10 I did, and the averages for a set of 10 were the same for each I tested.

I bought a BX, it feels great.. and much much better than any of my stock Ruger trigger groups. And when on sale, it's worth the money. I paid $65 on sale.
It's going into the stock 10/22, that I had a Volquartsen, and stole for a build.

My BX registered between 3 and 3.75 in the set of 10 pulls I did.
Each time, same spread.
I never saw less than 3, and it varied that range in the "sets" of 10 I did.
The lyman will give you an average for a set of 10 pulls, and it changes for each set of 10 I did on the BX.

I have 3 or so stock TG's from stock 10/22, one is 30+ yo and the other new plastic.
I haven't had a chance to put them in a 10/22 and run a series of pulls on them yet.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
It's not the weight of the BX than annoys me, it's the "feel". It's gritty, has a lot of takeup, creep and overtravel. None of those should be mentioned in the same sentence as "good" trigger

·
Registered
845 Posts
It's not the weight of the BX than annoys me, it's the "feel". It's gritty, has a lot of takeup, creep and overtravel. None of those should be mentioned in the same sentence as "good" trigger
I've read other people complain about the same thing on the BX's they got.
I was very hesitant to buy one, and basically wrote them off for about a year.
I also hate buying from the first lot of anything new.

I caught a good sale and figured, at worse I'll return it.

While I agree it's got a bit of creep, I find the over all feel hugely cleaner than the stock TG's, and much more predictable. And worth the $65 bux, even $100 . I guess I got one of the better ones.
I was actually surprised.
But with the pull gauge, a little disappointed. W/O the gauge, I wouldn't have thought it was that heavy or had that much variation.

My Volquartsen TG are much better than the BX by far..... but look at the price difference. I would hope so.

The BX I got, for an upgrade on an average 10/22, I found it worth it.
BUT yes, it's not a Volquartsen or KIDD.
I've never tried a KIDD, but always read great things about them.

The old metal stock TG's I have feel far better than all the plastic stock TG's I have and those I've tried on the firing line at AS events.

All the plastic stock 10/22 TG's I've tried out of the box are all over the place and are very gritty to totally horribly gritty, tons of creep. Some FAR worse than others. Some really feel like you have to yank the trigger to get through the pull, no such thing as a steady pressure.

My old metal stock TGs have clean pulls, with a bit of creep, and a little heavy, but very predictable and steady, unlike the stock plastic TG.

With how unpredictable the stock plastic TG are, I can imagine the BXs are going to have good ones and bad ones, from the factory.

Lets face it, they went to all plastic molded parts to be able to produce the parts quicker and faster and cheaper, with no hand fitting.
The old metal TGs , as Ruger themselves reported, were hand fitted, and took extra time to make them "right" (quality).
I'm sure they also made/shipped far fewer 10/22's back than, and didn't have the volume and pressure to ship they have now.

As we've seen with other firearms from Ruger, there's stuff that just shouldnt have shipped.

I think the crappy production plastic TGs and the bad BX's are just part of all of that high volume, push it out, let warranty take care of the fall out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After reading everything definitely steering clear from the bx , so far kid has my vote. but I want to look into Volquartsen.

·
Banned
650 Posts
For the price of the Kidd I would look hard at the Volquartsen.

Just shoot your first couple matches with your gun stock out of the box. Most competitive shooters are good about letting people who want to compete shoot their rifles. You may find solutions for a lot less than the drop in triggers. You can still buy the aluminum trigger groups. A good gunsmith can work with the aluminum trigger groups. I got my aluminum trigger group shooting to my liking by simply cutting a spring.

Most people go to matches expecting to win right away. You may have the talent to win right away. But all shooting matches are a game. No matter how talented you are you have to learn to play the game well before you can win. Go shoot a few matches before you start spending more than gas money and entry fees.

Here is a Volquartsen for the same price as a Kidd. I bet the competitive shooters can find a great trigger group for less.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-S...IGGER-GROUP-/262001992259?hash=item3d00892243

Here is a Volquartsen kit for your stock trigger group $40
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Volquar...Pull-VC10TH-/251862099273?hash=item3aa426a549

Trigger rebuild $67.99 plus $8 shipping 2lb trigger pull. Does it right with jigs so every part is the same every time. No cut springs or any hack work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUGER-10-22...over-travel-/190636993545?hash=item2c62d9ac09

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't waste $40 on the Volquartsen hammer group. It is better than stock but not worth the time or effort to put it in. If you do decide to get one, DO NOT USE THE TRIGGER RETURN SPRING. The trigger will not reset and you'll wind up taking the trigger back out to go back to the stock spring.
Don't buy the complete drop in trigger from Kidd, just the trigger kit. There will be no take up or creep, no gritty feel, the trigger will simply break like a glass rod. The auto bolt release mod is not something you will actually use very often unless shooting competitive matches that require you to show the chamber is clear.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts