Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2008 I bought a like new 1994 mfg. P-89 with probably less than a box of shells fired through it. I've barely shot it since 2008 but lately I've decided to start working it out because it's such a good platform for handload development. After all of the sitting this pistol's done since 1994, the trigger components are rough and stiff. I lubricated the heck out of it and have been working the trigger mechanism a lot in the past few days. Now I'm wondering if anyone makes a kit to improve the trigger on P series pistols, or is about the only real fix for it polishing all of the working parts and surfaces it rubs on?

Any help is appreciated. There is already a similar thread running but it involves the P-95. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
You could polish the surfaces and do a P95 trigger swap. Then add in the 19lb Wolff hammer springs to lighten the trigger pull. I just did the trigger swap, my springs were backordered but I should have them this week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not a problem, I just got my Wolff springs today (on backorder for a month) so I should have some info for you in a few days. I have no way to check trigger pull but my GF should be able to notice. Check out Galloway precision as well, they have some neat parts.

·
Banned
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna use the factory mainspring because I don't want to slow down the locktime. I might go to a Wolf spring of the same weight though. But I will do a polish of all the trigger group internals. ;)

·
Banned
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, as of earlier this evening, she's all done. I used a Dremel tool and removed the sharp edges on the trigger face. I actually did the disassembly last night. Polished every surface on every part that makes metal to metal contact. I also polished the inside of the frame a little where the trigger bar rubs against it. Everything is much smoother now. DA is much smoother and SA pull breaks clean. If you have a Dremel and the appropriate wheels, I can definitely recommend a polish job. Just for grins I also polished the chamber block to a nice shiney finish. ;)

·
Banned
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have but didn't. The polishing compound was old enough that it had set-up to a near solid state. If it was was more pliable I would have used it. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts