Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question. Whoever has trigger locks do you guys store with the gun cocked or uncocked so there is no pressure on the trigger when putting the locks on?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I do not trust trigger locks at all. I found it was very difficult to mount one so that it was hard to manipulate the trigger. I much prefer a lock that goes through the action, such as a cable lock or a shackle.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I don't really care for trigger lock or cable type. I lock the gun in my safe when stored. I think the trigger locks can still allow it to fire unless its a perfect fit & cables are toeasy to cut.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IF someone REALLY wants to get a hold of the weapon they will find a way to bypass. Nothing is perfect, it just DELAYS the process of using the weapon if the wrong person gets a hold of it. Nothing is fool-proof. Just wanted to see what is good for the firearm so there is no stress on the trigger with the trigger lock on it. That is all.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to invest in a safe soon but just wanted to see what others do where if they have the gun cocked or uncocked. I store mine uncocked with trigger lock on. I assume that will not produce stress on the triggers since it is uncocked.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am going to invest in a safe soon but just wanted to see what others do where if they have the gun cocked or uncocked. I store mine uncocked with trigger lock on. I assume that will not produce stress on the triggers since it is uncocked.
Glock recommends storing uncocked. Just remember that most guns can be dry fired (using the trigger to drop the hammer on an empty chamber), most .22's will be damaged. Check the owners manual to make sure dry fire is okay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I keep my guns stored in the safes I have but keep trigger locks around to make my wife happy. I have seen too many allow the trigger to still be pulled to trust them.

·
Super Moderator
21,876 Posts
My advice is buy a safe that fits your needs both now and in the future. The only time I have used a lock was when were were camping with family and some of the youngsters were around. I unloaded my SP and put one of the Ruger locks thru the cylinder.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Over here we only use them when transporting handguns to and from the range.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes a safe will be in my near future. As for now trigger locks and the locks that Ruger has provided are my means of security.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts