Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My father really liked the 10/22. One thing about the rifle is the rough trigger action. What's the best trigger pull weight for a hunting rifle? Who makes a decent drop-in replacement trigger??

Are there any other mods that would be good to do??

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,306 Posts
10/22s are great little guns. Yes, they are notorious for raspy and heavy trigger pulls. VOLQUARTSEN makes a nice "drop-in" kit that works quite well. They are available from Brownell's for $41.70 plus shipping. See: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=13872&title=10/22~+DROP-IN+HAMMER

If you don't want to spend fifty bucks, you can dress up the factory parts and end up with the same result. I resurface the hammer sear notch, polish the sear, cut two coils off the hammer spring, and 2 coils off the trigger return spring. Either way, they feel great when you're finished.

Trigger pull weight is very subjective. For hunting, 4 lbs is great unless you wear gloves. Just so you'll know, improving the trigger pull will help your accuracy but only to a point. 10/22s with factory barrels seldom shoot groups tighter than 2.5" at 50 yards.

Look at MidwayUSA or Brownell's for more parts and accessories than you can imagine. Here's one of my 10/22 turned in to a fungun. It even has a laser in the front of the stock.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
chambliss, order the brownell catalogue, there is about 500 pages of good stuff. Cost is 5.00 and they send you a 5.00 certificate for your order. Takes about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just ordered the drop in hammer - thanks for the recommendation. Iowegan, that's one sweet machine you've assembled. I'm seriously green.

White Dog, thanks for the tip. If the website is any indication, Brownells is gonna be a top resource....

·
16,306 Posts
Before I go into barrel options, let me say; although customizing 10/22s is way fun, it ain't cheap. Barrels start at $100 and can easily go to $400. If you go with a bull barrel, you will also need a custom stock. It reminds me of when I bought a bass boat. I defined it as "a hole in the water in which you pour money". If you want a good accurate rifle, I would suggest buying a CZ bolt gun. It will cost less than a decent 10/22 barrel and shoot better than the best custom 10/22.

A good "factory contour" barrel (uses factory stock) is the Butler Creek Carbon Fiber. It comes with factory sights and is considerably more accurate than the factory Ruger barrel. They are lighter in weight than a factory barrel and typically get 1.5" groups at 50 yards. That is plenty accurate for bunnies or tree rats. They sell for $140 at MidwayUSA.com

If you want a tack driver, you'll end up spending way more on a barrel than the gun cost. I like the Hart .920" diameter barrels. They don't have sights or even a place for them so you will need a scope. Because of the larger diameter, you will also need a custom stock. The barrel itself costs $380. As you can see, a total investment of $1000 is not unusual to get a 10/22 as accurate as a $250 bolt rifle. The last 10/22 I built up for a customer cost a total of $1250. At 75 yards or closer, it was about the same accuracy as my CZ mod 452-2E ($300 with a 3X9 scope). At 100 yds, my CZ would put the Ruger to shame.

I guess it boils down to how accurate and how much money are you willing to spend. For the most part, accuracy = $$$ when it comes to barrels.

·
Registered
421 Posts
In 1976 I purchased a 1022 new [liberty] with a trigger pull of 6 1/2 pounds. Some years later a friend of mine installed a Volquartzen hammer and reduced the pull to 2 1/2 pounds. Made a big difference in the way I shoot it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The CZ looks sweet. Who sells the 452-2E with scope for $300? Does anyone make an underfolder stock for the 10/22 (kinda like the MP-40)?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Iowegan, I have absolutely no gunsmithing skills. Is the "drop in" kit truely easy? I would like to know before ordering it. Thank you.

·
16,306 Posts
"Drop-in" eludes to no filing or fitting to make the parts work. You still need basic mechanical skills to disassemble the gun to a point where you can remove the old hammer and install the new one. As with all guns, there are some "tricks" to disassembly and reassembly. Lock up your hammers, power tools, etc,then use Ruger's owner's manual as an aid. Ruger 10/22s are one of the simplest and easiest guns to work on. You should be able to do it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I received my drop in hammer for my 10/22 today.
Took me about 45 minutes to do the install.
I have never in my life taken a trigger guard assy. apart.
Knowing that I have very little mechanical skill,
I was really nervous (figured if all else failed,
I would carry it to a local gunshop and have them finish it).
The key is to pay attention to how it comes apart,
and to have the exploded view on your computer monitor.
Everything went great. It actually fires, the saftey works
as it should and it is tons smoother. I'm very pleased.
Thanks, Iowegan.
Carl.....

·
16,306 Posts
Wizard, Good for you! Glad everthing worked out OK. See, that wasn't so hard, was it?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Yep, all them little parts can be daunting for us old geezers with failing eyesight. But all in all pretty much a straight forward affair. The 10/22 is quite simple to work on. Congratulations Wizard!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts