Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 1/4" SP101 that I performed the IBOK trigger job on (worked great) and was really pleased with the double action trigger---until today.

Today, I tried the DAO trigger on a friend's 3" GP100. I liked it much more than the trigger on my SP. It was a "stock" GP100.

My question: Is the trigger on DAO Ruger revolvers (either SP or GP) better than the triggers on a conventional DA/SA Ruger?

Also, if I remember correctly, the grip on the 3" GP100 is the same as that of the SP101 (I'd check the web site but it's down right now.)

Thanks, WyoBob

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,707 Posts
WyoBob, SP-101s and GP-100 are a very similar design but not exactly the same. The GP-100 trigger has a better mechanical advantage so assuming all else is equal, the GP-100 will feel lighter. Remember ... SP-101s are not target guns and were never intended to be anything but a serious CCW gun. As such, sights, trigger pull, and grips aren't going to be as refined as the larger framed GP-100.

The compact grips for the GP-100 use the same inserts as the SP-101 but the grips are not interchangable between the two. All GP-100s and Super Redhawks have the same grip stud so full sized or compact Ruger grips as well as aftermarket models will fit all GP-100 or SRH models.

·
Super Moderator
21,718 Posts
I have both a GP-100 and an SP-101 and the GP's trigger seems to me to be lighter and smoother. They are both DA/SA and have 500-1000 rounds each. I don't have issues with either as they have different purposes.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I don't have a GP yet however the DA trigger on my super redhawk is much better than my sp101. Both revolvers are highly polished, the SP has a 8# trigger return and 10# hammer spring, the SHR has a clipped trigger return spring and factory hammer spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WyoBob, SP-101s and GP-100 are a very similar design but not exactly the same. The GP-100 trigger has a better mechanical advantage so assuming all else is equal, the GP-100 will feel lighter. Remember ... SP-101s are not target guns and were never intended to be anything but a serious CCW gun. As such, sights, trigger pull, and grips aren't going to be as refined as the larger framed GP-100.

The compact grips for the GP-100 use the same inserts as the SP-101 but the grips are not interchangable between the two. All GP-100s and Super Redhawks have the same grip stud so full sized or compact Ruger grips as well as aftermarket models will fit all GP-100 or SRH models.
Thanks for the reply, Iowegan and everyone else.

First off, it appears that the DAO GP100 3" barrel is not in the catalog (and perhaps never has been). I imagine it came from the factory on special order as there is lettering on the gun about some law enforcement center.

So we're comparing apples to apples, is there any difference in triggers between the DAO and DA/SA SP101?

Thanks for the grip info, Iowegan. BTW, the trigger job was very easy to do with the info provided and lots of fun, to boot. While I had the gun apart, I used my 6" Scotchbrite (gray ) wheel to round the sharp corners on the trigger and this worked very nicely. I aslo bobbed the hammer and polished it off with the wheel and it turned out nice and I can still thumb the hammer back when doing accuracy testing when working up a load. (Yeah, I know, overkill. I can't help myself. What can I say. I'm a tinkerer and like to shoot as accurate of a load as I can. I do use my 1911s for "target", though.)

Thanks fellas, WyoBob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts