Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In trying to refine my rifle shooting technique I have started to pause my breathing as opposed to holding my breath. What technique do you use and why?
I have a WWII training video that teaches holding the breath, but I like pausing my breath as I am not as tense during the actually squeeze. I am by no means an expert yet I would like to refine my technique. Any information regarding others experiences would be helpful and appreciated, thanking those that respond in advance.
peace.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Don't know about anybody else, but I breath normally and when ready to squeeze the trigger, let the last inhale out probably 2/3 and pause. Tends to relax the chest and arms allowing a shot without tensing up. Works for me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I shoot a rifle the same way jimbo1096 does and have found a good many other people shoot the same way. The muscles utilized need "some" degree of relaxation (not too much) and it works well for me. I advocate and teach this way to others...............Dick

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
In your breathing cycle, you have a natural ~2 second pause when you completed the exhale process. At this time I start to put pressure on the trigger. If the rifle doesn't fire when I naturally start to inhale, I hold the pressure and wait for the next natural pause, then start applying pressure again.

Holding your breath is a bad idea, as this starts to slowly deplete your body of oxygen, and your natural response is to start breathing heavier.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I never did a lot of serious shooting when I was a kid, so when I learned, I learned from the same people that taught Lee Harvey Oswald.

The method taught by the Marine Corps in the early 60s was the BASS method.

B = Breathe. Take a deep breath, let half of it out and hold it
A = Aim. Line up your sights
S = Slack. Take up the slack in the trigger. (Creep)
S = Squeeze. A slow steady pressure to the rear until the hammer falls without the shooters knowledge.

I have been informed by younger Marines than myself that an “R” has been added to make the acrostic BRASS. The R stands for relax.

It has been taught to millions of Marines over the years and the results cannot be questioned.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
From the Official U.S. Military Basic Marksmanship Guide:

Breath Control. Proper breath control allows the shooter to remain steady once
good sight picture is attained. Prior to firing, the shooter should take a deep
breath and exhale half of it. By allowing some air to remain in the lungs, the
shooter will not fight to exhale or inhale. This allows the weapon to remain
steady until the weapon is fired. During slow fire this should be done for each
round fired. The acronym for proper breath control is “B.R.A.S.S.”

(1) Breathe.

(2) Release halfway and hold.

(3) Aim.

(4) Squeeze.

(5) Shoot.

With proper breathing technique, the movement on the target can be controlled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts