Ruger Forum banner

Trouble connecting sling mount

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Maddmax 
#1 ·
I recently purchased my first AR and my first Ruger. After purchasing a QD sling mount, I discovered that either gas block is too thick, or the channel that was cut for the sling mount bearings isnt in spec. Has anyone encountered the same issue? Do I need to file the block to the correct spec? I asked a local gun store to try connecting a sling mount to another Ruger AR 556 and one of the two he had in stock has the same
problem.

#9 ·
I hate those push button swivel mounts (QD). Too easy to bump and pop open. I prefer the post type that actually lock with a pin inserted through a hole and the pin has a lock on the opposite side. Most don't swivel, but I've never had any issues with them just popping open.

#10 ·
Before messing around with your front sight tower sling swivel socket I would try a different sling swivel. I have not had any trouble getting a couple of different brands of sling swivels to work on my AR556 but I have seen multiple reports of sling swivels that have either fit to loose or too tight in various brands of ARs while a different brand worked fine. It may be that the sling swivel you bought is simply out of spec.

#11 ·
I agree. It's a "get what you pay for" and there's a TON of cheap junk knockoffs (made for airsoft) out there being sold "as the real deal". Best to spend a little extra for a known name brand that will back their product and replace the problem, no questions asked.

Reactions: *Shoot*
#13 ·
Magpul products have me spoiled. They're a bit pricey, but are quality built, reliable. and I can live with it. They've earned my loyalty over the years.

Reactions: *Shoot*
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.