Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a gun for a very specific purpose. I realized there's a small spot next to where I usually sit that nobody can see but me. I'm not one, and won't be, to carry in the house. But I'm thinking of getting a very small 9mm or 38spcl to put there so that if I hear something that doesn't sound right (or something) I can just grab it, shove it in my pocket, and go. It will probably go outside with me at night and probably to the detached garage I'm slowly turning into a workshop when I'm out there. Would not be a "fun gun" for the range.

What I'm kind of down to now on the Ruger side is the LC9S or the LCR. Also in the mix is the Bodyguard snubby revolver or maybe the SCCY ($$$) but I would probably prefer the Rugers.

Opinions folks? I'm not all that familiar with either of the Rugers really, but I would like to stick to the 38spcl/9mm.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I would go with an LC9, easier to stick in the pocket of a pair of "lounge pants" and you can even hide it inside a thick book, just cut a square out in the pages and stick it in there.

What does it hold, like 7 rounds? 7 9mm's should be plenty to deal with any bump in the night scenarios or if need be get you to "heavier artillery" in the house. The LCR is just cutting your payload down to 5 rounds.

I'm a revolver guy but for something you want to jam in a pocket the LC9 makes more sense, it's just a tool and they don't cost a lot. That said I keep a couple Taurus 85's stashed around my living room, one by the front door hidden up on a shelf and one by the kitchen area. I just wanted something cheap I didn't have to really "maintain" just as a quick 5 shots in case I get surprised inside my house. My next to the chair gun is a .357 Service Six.......although I may switch this to my CZ-85 9mm, since a lead dispenser with 18 rounds makes a handy tool in case I'm watching TV and I get unwelcome visitors. I live away from the beaten path so it's not like I get people just coming up to my door.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info - Thanks.

No doubt I'm a little spooked right now after our little police action a couple of weeks ago. I've got the SR9C but it's just a touch too big and can get a little heavy loaded.

Don't want to spend a big amount of money on this one.

Of course, now I've got to take a look at the Taurus 85 too. :D

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I would look at j-frame sized snubbys. A Taurus 85/605 would work. S&W 442/642/360/340 etc would make great pocket guns. There are almost a billion offerings from S&W. 9mm are a bit tougher to conceal in the pocket. Enter the 380 pocket pistols.

I'd go with a revolver with some +P ammo.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
As suggested a J Frame is always in reach for me , they also fit nicely in " most pockets" and pack plenty with a + P round ... The Sccy is an good option ,I had one for a short time and was over all, impressed! I sold it to a buddy who wanted something inexpensive but reliable I didn't really need it to be honest . I only ran a couple of mags through it and he shoots the crap out of it without fail.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Kahr has the CT9 that is a full size gun that you can stick in your pocket or in your pants at 10 O'clock. It has the sight radius of the SR9 but it is much lighter and easier to handle. If I am not sure what is going on I just slip my G19 in my front pocket. Yes, the "Glock hump" is sticking out of my pocket. Any shirt I would be sleeping in would cover that little bit. The CT9 is a square gun with a thin, single stack profile. The CT9 is not an all day pocket gun but it will fit in your pocket. The CT9 is only 1/2" longer and taller than a LC9 both have the same thickness. If you shop around you can find one with factory night sights. This one at Buds has a front night sight.
KAHR CT9093N CT9 9MM 3.96 FNS $348.00 SHIPS FREE

This one is a little less expensive than buds
Kahr CT9 Pistol - CT9093N | CenterfireGuns

The CM9 has a 3" barrel like the LC9 but it is considerably shorter in length and height.
http://www.centerfireguns.com/kahr-arms-cm9-9mm-3-1-fns-cm9093n.htm

My choice would be a G26. Glock pistols are not as big as they look. The G26 with a 10 shot magazine is 1/2" shorter than a LC9. I have pocket carried a lot of guns. The overall length of the gun is not as important as the height of the gun. The G26 is thinner than any 38 special revolver.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I carry in my pocket the Sig P238.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
My choice for a situation like this is the LC9s or Kahr CT380. Both shoot well, are easy to conceal and inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Planeguy, You wouldn't go wrong with either of the guns you're looking at in the LC9s or LCR. I have not had the opportunity to shoot the LC9s but the LCR 38 is my EDC. Not a really "fun" gun to shoot at the range but a really good close quarters gun IMHO.

·
Administrator
22,163 Posts
My pocket carry handgun is a Smith 642. It also sits in a drawer right next to my chair when I am home and if someone I don't recognize comes up the driveway it comes with me to the door. It's stoked with 38 Spl +P's.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I can stick a Kel-tec P-11 in my pocket and walk around comfortably but it's not a pocket gun.

Since I believe we can't anticipate all situations I'd vote for the LCR because it's a true pocket gun, everyone should own one pocket gun.

·
Registered
392 Posts
the trick to pocket carry is more about the pocket, than the gun. I have a pair of cargo pants with big front pockets, Ruger P90 in a Remora holster, drops right in.
in regular pants, any snubby revolver or small pistol should work. I've carried j-frames and a Kahr CM9(I don't do business with Kahr anymore, their service sucks!). I now have a Ruger LC9s and very happy with that. my all time favorite(it's in my pocket right now) is my Kel-Tec P32, with 10 round mag. 11 shots of .32acp(73gr. Fiocchi) and a total weight of 11 oz.-- there's really no excuse not to have one on you all the time.
(practice trying to fumble a gun out of your pocket and then maybe look at a IWB holster for a gun you like to shoot. the LC9s in a BladeTech Klipt holster is working for me.)

·
Administrator
22,163 Posts
A pocket holster will follow the handgun up to the pocket opening and stop. The handgun slides out quickly and easily (at least mine do). I carry in jeans and cargo shorts without issue. The key is practice with an unloaded firearm to be sure it all works together. I reach into the pocket and get a grip on the revolver and then draw. Once out the trigger can then be engaged. My pocket holster are from Simply Rugged and they are leather and sold for short money. I got my first one over 10 years ago and the price hasn't changed still $25.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A bit of advice for your desire to quickly grab and go - be sure you have it in some kind of holster, and that you have NOTHING else in the pocket you put it in. Nothing else, no keys, no pocket knife, nothing. Just grabbing a bare pistol and shoving it in some random pocket is a recipe for shooting yourself in a negligent discharge. Your safety is first!

For what it's worth, pocket carrying in jeans is a mixed bag. Standing up, the draw's not bad, really quite quick if you casually have your hand on it in your pocket already. It's not a threatening posture at all, but you can deploy from that position about as fast as from anything.

However, most jeans have a pocket opening which is pretty straight across the top, which makes accessing the weapon while seated very difficult. Not likely a big concern for what you want to do, but just in case...

Less stylish perhaps, but carpenter jeans seem to commonly have a slash pocket much more like dress pants. Not owning any carpenter jeans, I can't really comment on the seated draw from them, but it seems it should be similar to when wearing dress pants. I sometimes pocket carry a Sig P238 in a Desantis Superfly holster in casual-dress pants, and accessing it while seated is not a problem. The great thing about the P238 is how nicely it shoots, with very controllable recoil. It really is a fun range gun, and very pocketable. Also a bit spendy, but you'll find most people who have one realy like it a lot.

My regular jeans pockets are *really* hard to get at while seated.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I have an LC9 and my wife has a J-frame S&W; both are great choices.

Jim

·
Registered
995 Posts
The LC9s would be a great choice considering you already have a double stack 9mm. PSA has em on sale right now for $299.99

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have a Colt Mustang and love it for pocket carry. But that doesn't seem like a good choice here because of maintenance and price tag.

The LC9 might be a good choice, but again, I think semi's require a little more maintenance than revolvers. Also a shorter trigger.

I love my SP101 and my Jframes. I think that would be my choice for this situation.

The Taurus 85's can be had cheap ($250, sometimes lower). A S&W 642 or 637 can be had for around $350.

Depending on what ammo you want, the Taurus 905 in 9mm might be an option as well. Keep a moon clip loaded next to your stash spot that you can toss in your pocket when you walk out. Not a bad option either.

J Frames will be a little smaller than the LCR.

·
Banned
308 Posts
I'm looking for a gun for a very specific purpose. I realized there's a small spot next to where I usually sit that nobody can see but me. I'm not one, and won't be, to carry in the house. But I'm thinking of getting a very small 9mm or 38spcl to put there so that if I hear something that doesn't sound right (or something) I can just grab it, shove it in my pocket, and go. It will probably go outside with me at night and probably to the detached garage I'm slowly turning into a workshop when I'm out there. Would not be a "fun gun" for the range.

What I'm kind of down to now on the Ruger side is the LC9S or the LCR. Also in the mix is the Bodyguard snubby revolver or maybe the SCCY ($$$) but I would probably prefer the Rugers.

Opinions folks? I'm not all that familiar with either of the Rugers really, but I would like to stick to the 38spcl/9mm.
You are at your own home? Sounds like a job for a shotgun.

Radio George

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
In my experience the LC9 was too big for most pockets to carry comfortably. My LCP and LCR both fit well in most pockets. There is a size difference between the LC9 and SR9c but for your intended purpose not enough of one to justify buying the LC9 IMO.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts