Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a .22 LR pistol the comes with a threaded barrel. I'm trying to decide between the S&W MP.22, Ruger 22/45 lite or the Ruger SR22. Which one would you recommend and why?
My only other .22 pistol is the S&W 22a target pistol that I picked up two weeks ago from someone that needed the money. The only reason I bought it because it was cheap. Now I want to buy another pistol that has a threaded barrel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I almost bought the 22/45 lite blue version until I read some bad reviews about it. Field strip is a pain and the mag disconnect I don't like. I know I can buy a bushing for the mag disconnect. But spending extra money on parts adds to the total cost of the gun.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I almost bought the 22/45 lite blue version until I read some bad reviews about it. Field strip is a pain and the mag disconnect I don't like. I know I can buy a bushing for the mag disconnect. But spending extra money on parts adds to the total cost of the gun.
I have that version and yes the field strip is a pain but that's generally true of all the Mark pistols and not just the 22/45. Lots of good mods make for a better gun but of course the costs add up. Same is true for a lot of guns for that matter. Most of my guns end up with better sights, grips, springs, finishes, etc. And let's not even look at ARs......

·
Banned
650 Posts
I would avoid the M&P22. Google M&P22 pistol barrel fouling. I own one it is accurate and dependable but S&W shipped a unfinished pistol to my house twice. When I have to finish any stage of manufacturing to use a pistol I cannot recommend it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I think that depends on why you want the threads. The 22/45 Lite is perfect for a comp. :) Folks shooting Steel Challenge often use a comp on the Mark's.
That is one thing. If you are wanting to mount a suppressor then the SR22 would be very cool and somewhat shorter than the 22/45. :)
I have the all black 22/45 and also a SR22. The SR22 is one of the most reliable 22 LR automatic pistol I have ever seen out of the box. :D
Mine handles the Remi Sub-sonic and CCI Quiet 22's well. That may just be mine.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have an SR22P with a Twin Tech Tactical threaded barrel, the first model 22/45 LITE, the steel threaded 22/45, and a 22/45 threaded Tac-Sol pistol. I would buy one of the 22/45s. They are true target pistols, the SR22P, and M&P22 are plinkers. I like hitting what I aim at, and the 22/45 does that with ease. The SR22, not so much. If you want to be all tactical cool, then the SR22 will simulate that, but the 22/45 is truly a world class pistol. Dont listen to all the whining about dis/reassembly of the 22/45. If you can follow a few simple instructions, you will breeze through it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm certainly no marksman by anyone's standard but I do pretty well ( for me ) with my SR22. I've found it accurate, easy to clean and incredibly reliable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm certainly no marksman by anyone's standard but I do pretty well ( for me ) with my SR22. I've found it accurate, easy to clean and incredibly reliable.
My pick also SR22...haven't shot one but I like the feel...many youtube reviews...they have jumped a lot in price here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My vote. 22/45 Lite. Have had one for a couple of years. Love it!! Just installed a complete Volquartsen trigger and hammer conversion. Trigger pull measures 2 1/8 pounds. Gun was a pleasure to shoot, now I can't believe I waited to do the conversion. It feels like a whole different gun.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It would depend on exactly what you intend to use the new puchase for. Me, when it comes to .22 pistols, I'm a plinker. The little SR22 is absolutely the "funnest" .22 handgun I've ever owned and over the years I've owned several. I have squirrel hunted with a .22 hand gun [I much prefer the little Remington 5 mm mag for that job]. But IF I was going to go .22 hand gun route I would not hesitate one second grabbing my SR22. The durned little thing goes bang with anything I've fed it including some "junk" ammo that a friend gave me because it wouldn't cycle in his' hi $$$$ .22 pistol! It's as accurate as I need and probably more accurate than 98% of those who will ever own one. But it's not a target pistol ... never intended to be.

Once again, it would depend on exactly what you want it for. I can only tell you what my experience is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts