Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm considering polishing the bolt and receiver for my 10/22, but I have a few questions. I took my 10/22 out on Sunday and it had quite a few stovepipes. Not an insane amount, but enough to leave me a bit frustrated. I was using the red box Federal bulk (walmart), which it normally runs pretty well with. The gun and the mags were a bit dirty, but nothing crazy.

The only ammo I've used that didn't stovepipe at all were the CCI stingers. (probably because of the high velocity) CCI mini mags actually seemed to perform worse in my gun than Federal bulk. Winchester bulk was not very good, it leaded up my barrel. My gun seems to like Federal.

I'm not having any problems with extracting. I'll get the occasional failure to fire, but that's pretty rare as well. When the gun malfunctions, it is almost always a stove pipe. I use CLP to lubricate my 10/22 and I use it pretty sparingly. (otherwise it gums up the action very quickly)

Anyway, I'm looking at inexpensive methods to reduce stovepiping. I've heard installing a VQ extractor is usually a good fix. My stock extractor seems like it has a bit of wear and it doesn't lock onto the shell very firmly.

So my question is, does polishing the receiver and the bolt help all that much? Or should I start with the VQ extractor and see if that fixes it? Is polishing those areas only beneficial if the gun is brand new? My 10/22 is only a few months old and has I'd say 3000 rounds through it.

I'm new to the whole "polishing," thing so I'm a bit more hesitant at attempting it. I know it's pretty straight forward, use 400 grit smooth the top half of the bolt, top part of the cocking handle) and then the inside of the receiver. Finish it off with a metal polish. I've just never done it before.

From reading reviews, it seems like the VQ extractor turns picky 10/22s into non nom any ammo 10/22s. My 10/22 hasn't been very picky on ammo, I'm just annoyed by the stovepiping, which last trip was enough to frustrate me. I'd say about 6 or so stovepipes in only about 250 rounds.

I believe a significant portion of the friction on my particular 10/22 lies in the stock guide rod assembly. The handle seems to dig a bit into the guide rod. Replacing that (I would go Kidd if end up going that route) is pretty pricey, around $35. That's sort of my last resort.

I also kind of need an excuse to start tinkering with my 10/22 :D

Right now all I really have planned is a Kidd bolt buffer, VQ extractor, and an optic of some sort.

I'm probably just rambling to myself, but any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I think Red Box doesnt like the colder times. In the summer I have no problem, but last time I went shooting it was giving my issues

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,836 Posts
Buy the new extractor ... you won't be sorry!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's interesting to know, I wonder why that is..... I live in AZ though and our weather is still in the 90s-100s so cold probably isn't a factor right now...lol (tired of it being so hot!)

Has anyone ever used a Kidd extractor? My gut feeling says to go for the VQ, but since Kidd seems to make such good products I though I should ask. Only real reason I'm considering the Kidd extractor is because I am going buy their bolt buffer and they will ship the buffer and extractor for free ($17 total iirc). Haven't really been able to find any info on their extractor.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The deal on the Kidd is as good as any...

Any of the aftermarkets will do...

I have the Sharp Claw from Tactical Innovations...best $12 I have spent on mine...

Get anyone you want... but get one...

You might consider getting their lever mag release at the same time...between having a sweet lever release and few if any stove pipes it's a whole new experience...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts